Mokosh

Best Sealant To Prevent Dye Rub Off

Hello! I am making some brightly dyed ski straps for a friend and I need to find an AWESOME sealant that will prevent dye rub off. The straps are dyed with Angelus dye and Tandy's Professional Waterstain. I tried sealing one of the Angelus dyed straps with Tandy's Eco-Flo Professional FInish Clear Gloss and after some burnishing, there is still some rub off. Obviously the straps will get wet and will be exposed to snow, etc.

I also have these sealers at home, don't know if any them would perform better? Any suggestions?

Angelus Acrylic Finisher

Fiebings Leather Balm

Eco Flo Satin Shene (probably essentially the same product as the Eco-Flo Professional finish)

Eco Flo Super Shene

Several people are going to line up to suggest Resolene. Buff the leather till there is no rub-off after dying. Apply resolene mixed 50/50 with water in light coats(most recommend 3 coats). I use it, works well so far. Super sheen works if you apply enough layers. can't say for sure on satin sheen as I've only used it a few times. The other two I haven't used.

Ok, good to know. I'll pick up some Resolene next time.

I guess for now I'll lay a few more coats on of the current stuff I have and check it again. :)

Yes as cgleathercraft has said, Resoline is about the best out there

it is glossy

And, being as these straps are going to be exposed to moisture, you may want to give them a good treatment of Mink Oil, let it set for about 24 hours, buff again to confirm no further rub-off, then seal with the Resolene.

I would NOT use a water based stain on an item expose to water.Find an alcohol based stain and soak the straps so the dye permeates the leather, then buff off excess and Reolene away! Resolene is a waterbased acrylic and sets once dry but won't dissolve the alcohol based dye when applied.

Cya!

Bob