AndreNL

Adler 20-2, Anyone Here Using It?

Hi there,

I'm currently restoring an Adler 20-2 and I have a fully operational and original Adler 20-2. I was wondering if there are any forum members who are familiar in working with these machines since my only experience consist of restoring them.

I'm also looking for some parts but mostly interested in user info on how to thread them, what the machines were used or intended to be used for etc..

I'll post some pics of my machines as soon as possible

André

(The Netherlands)

The incomplete Adler 20-2

Here's my other Adler 20-2, almost complete with all it's tools, table and motor.

post-53282-0-95558100-1404192834_thumb.j

post-53282-0-49333600-1404192837_thumb.j

post-53282-0-29406700-1404193447_thumb.j

post-53282-0-84557000-1404193448_thumb.j

post-53282-0-06950300-1404193450_thumb.j

post-53282-0-53724800-1404193451_thumb.j

post-53282-0-79245800-1404193452_thumb.j

Nice set! Seems you have bought a former German Army sewing machine. I remember from my Army time that these were used for repairing Truck tarps on levels above battalions and in depots. I think (but I´m not sure) that these certain kind of work stands were truck mounted for field repair. But the entire outfit is a general repair set for all kind of heavy leather, canvas or webbing harness and so on. Beside of that they maybe be good for repairing sails, parachute harness, heavy tow straps and other heavy stuff.

What parts are you looking for?

It's a German Army machine indeed! The application of the machine you're talking about seems to fit my needs quite well.

I'm still missing the little wheel to wind the bobbin's with and i don't know how the thread is supposed to run through the machine to the needle.

Have you ever worked with this machine Constabulary?

André

No, I have not worked with this machine but maybe a manual of the Singer Class 7 helps you to thread the machine. I´m not sure if the treading is the same but I´m sure it will give you an idea.

I´m not sure which wheel you mean. Can you post a picture of where this wheel should be attached?

7 CLASS.pdf

The little wheel on the right side of the photo...

post-53282-0-23589900-1404205067_thumb.p

Well I guess it will be quite hard to find. You should probably consider a complete new bobbing winder.

There are table mount bobbin winder available but you need one for larger size bobbins. Maybe College Sewing in the UK can help you with this.

The table mount winder looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bobbin-Winder-Long-Cylinder-Bobbins-Singer-45k-7-42-5-GA5-1-GB6-181-/221414104772?pt=AU_Sewing&hash=item338d4f1ec4

But remember you need one for large size bobbins.

If College Sewing is not able to help you should contact Toledeo Sewing Machine Co. in the US, they are often recommended here int he forum for having spare parts for older machines. They also sell the 441 type machines which have the table mount bobbin winder for the large size bobbins so I guess they will have the spare winders too.

Thanks for the info so far!

I need some needles and thread to start testing. It seems the adler 20 uses the 794 system. How do i know what needle i need for a given thread size to be used with heavy fabrics? What thread sizes are these machines intended to work with?

André

Hard to tell - any labels on the thread? Maybe on the underside of the cone?

I have a package one 10 new SCHMETZ 794 needles in size 160 if that helps you for a 1st try. I´d ask 10€ incl. shipping to NL (Airmail letter). I´m from Germany so you should have then in a few days. If you have Paypal I can send them out today.

Toledo has a nice needle / thread size chart:

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

From what i've been reading I understand i will need a bigger needle. Thread size is 6 if i'm correct..

I'll have a go with the needle it came with to test. If it doesn't work for some reason i'll send you a message for the needles.

Andre

You might try to find a operations manual for the Adler 120-2 which followed the #20. You may find it on Adler blog site Sew24.blogspot.com I would also try contacting Michael Simard Ltd. in Canada. A very large Adler dealer who has a lot of older Adler parts. They might even have an instruction manual on the machine.

shoepatcher

Nice to see another Adler owner. I have the Adler 20-7 that I am currently restoring and rebulding and I can help answer your questions to the best of my ability, perhaps we can helt each other and exchange experiences during the process.

I have some manuals collected for the Adler 20 and 120 that I can send you, they cover the threading of the machine amongst other things.

Let me know if the below link does not work. I just snapped a quick picture with my phone and drew in the threading on top of the actual thread in photoshop as the black thread really wasnt that visible. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15175657/adler20-7/adler_threading.jpg

Let me know if the below link does not work. I just snapped a quick picture with my phone and drew in the threading on top of the actual thread in photoshop as the black thread really wasnt that visible. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15175657/adler20-7/adler_threading.jpg

I'm afraid the link doesn't work..

Nice to know that you're also restoring an Adler 20! Is yours in relative good condition or at least complete with all it's parts and working?

I've managed to collect some spare parts over the last months because they are becoming quite difficult to find. So anything for an Adler 20-2 I come across becomes another addition to my collection.

Can you tell where you found the manuals?

André

post-53282-0-91038600-1404242328_thumb.j

post-53282-0-92215800-1404242330_thumb.j

post-53282-0-35339600-1404242332_thumb.j

post-53282-0-79680300-1404242333_thumb.j

post-53282-0-25007700-1404242335_thumb.j

Nice! I see you have found quite a lot of spare parts! Any chance you would consider selling me a feed dog? The one I have is in rather poor condition. Very nice catch with the shuttle race's as well! Mine had been previously modified with a Singer 7 Class shuttle race and has had the presser foot lifting lever modified as well as the tension roller disc assembly, but I am working on replacing some parts and generally overhauling it. Its a rather old machine from the time when they still we're black :)

Is this picture working better? http://s16.postimg.org/svvem2fyd/adler_threading.jpg

Perhaps I can ask you to do me a favor? What type of shuttle are you using in your adler? I see you have both the long and short hook version in your collection of spare parts but it would be very interesting to see what is actually inside of the machine right now.

I actually dont remember where I found the manuals but I would be happy to email them to you if you send me an email adress.

Edited by VanRhodes

Picture is working now! I now know where all the little "pigtail" thread guides have to placed! This helps a lot.

As you can see on the photo's i have a couple of big and small shuttles. When I got the first machine there was a big one inside. The other 20-2 came without any.. Don't know the difference...

You've been quite busy doing some test runs as i can see a lot of straps in the background! Haven't been able to sew with my machines yet but i'm getting quite curious now!

If you could give me some dimensions of your feed dog i will check with mine if there's one that will fit.

André

Glad I could help out! There is a small pigtail before the 1st tension disc assembly that isnt visible in the picture though, but dont forget that one. My adler has a large shuttle as well(Although singer brand) but I was wondering what other machines had at the point of delivery since mine isnt 100% stock parts.

Yes I have, it does sew pretty well with just a few skipped stitches here and there but I am confident that can be solved by adjusting the needle to shuttle relation wich I will look closer at tonight. I would like to take the entire machine apart and clean it up properly but since its such a beast a weighs a ton, handling isnt the easiest thing...

I will measure the feed dog tonight and get back to you on that. Thanks alot!

Van R, Check the set screw that holds the cam wheel that also drives the needle it is deep in a hole . Mine used to skip stitches occasionally and it took me a long time to realize that that set screw was slightly loose and the cam wheel would wiggle on the shaft just enough to skip stitches once in a while. There are timing marks on the end of the shaft and the cam wheel. Mine is also the old black machine.

Catskin, where are the timing marks located? I did fix the camwheel in position a while ago when I did some cleaning as I noticed there was grease and oil in the hole with the screw that made it easier for it to wiggle out of position. Its been cleaned out and fixed with loctite now so it wont bulge a bit. I also knocked the shuttle race a little closer to the needle today in hopes that this would make it not skip stitches.

Would you mind snapping a couple of pictures of your machine? Id love to see it.

Van R, The timing marks are on the end of the shaft and the cam wheel they look like shallow chisel marks, they need to line up.

Sorry about pictures, I am not computer literate enough to get pictures loaded. Maybe my brain is analog not digital!

@ VanRhodes

I just noticed your threading picture. I guess you know that you have a walking foot machine, right?

But one foot is missing. It´s the one that belongs on the front presser bar and the foot is facing backwards when installed.

Is yours an Adler 20-8 or so?

Edited by Constabulary

@Catskin, I'll have to check that out tonight!

@Constabulary, calling it a walking foot is a little bit of a stretch, its refered to as a snap-foot and the front presser bar is for an attachment used when working with buffing wheels, but I plan on manufacturing a new set of feet. I had a buddy of mine 3d print the first draft i made of the new feet I want to make so that I could get a grip of how wrong I was in my measurement and get a chance to correct it before manufacturing.

http://instagram.com/p/pYwUSRRG48/

I feel bad now as I did not intend to hijack this thread, I should rather blow some life into the one that I made a few months back. Sorry to for the hijack AndreNL.

@Catskin, I'll have to check that out tonight!

@Constabulary, calling it a walking foot is a little bit of a stretch, its refered to as a snap-foot and the front presser bar is for an attachment used when working with buffing wheels, but I plan on manufacturing a new set of feet. I had a buddy of mine 3d print the first draft i made of the new feet I want to make so that I could get a grip of how wrong I was in my measurement and get a chance to correct it before manufacturing.

http://instagram.com/p/pYwUSRRG48/

I feel bad now as I did not intend to hijack this thread, I should rather blow some life into the one that I made a few months back. Sorry to for the hijack AndreNL.

I don't see it as hijacking at all! We're basically dsicussing almost the same machines so any relevant information is welcome!

Edited by AndreNL

@Catskin:

Do you use the clutch motor or a newer servo type motor on your Adler 20-2?

Where do you use your machine for? Fabric or leather, thin or very thick materials?