Sign in to follow this  
TrooperChuck

Sante Fe Saddle Question

I'm about to start my 6th saddle... It will be a Santa Fe style, with slots in the cantle, Sam Stagg rigging and a half-seat. I'm undecided whether to cover the entire cantle, or leave the rawhide exposed above the half-seat.

IF I decide to cover the entire cantle, does anyone have any suggestions, photos, or advice for how best to install the leather around the slots in the cantle?

Thanks

Wish I could remember where I saw it, but it seems like I saw one where the leather was tacked down with escutcheon pins around the slots. Chris

Like Mulefool says, if you decide to cover the whole cantle , use escutcheon pins around the slots. If you decide not to cover the whole cantle, you can make scallops and nail them down with escutcheon pins. Attached is a pic of my Santa Fe style saddle that I built a couple of years ago. I used a mexican style rigging instead of a Sam Stagg rigging and it works fine. I also installed a rosewood horn cap with a solid brass Texas star inletted ( to cover the screws), bling bling !

Santa_Fe_sadel_2006.JPG

post-5173-1228425124_thumb.jpg

This shows an example on how to use the cantle hand holes , to make a makeshift pack saddle of your Santa Fe saddle

Hur_man_packar_en_santa_Fesadel.jpg

post-5173-1228426035_thumb.jpg