Blackcat

My First Post And Noob Questions

Hello! Im mainly a knifemaker blacksmith and custom metalworker. I would like to make some knife sheaths, gun holsters belts and such. I dont have a lot of money so im trying to figure out what I can do with basic hand tools.

I have Many questions lol but ill limit them to the main ones.

For gun holsters like western cowboy style. Is there any info about the science of their construction. Like how to make them fit correctly and be functional. Ive heard some makers add things like re enforced parts to help support the firearm and assist in a smooth draw and so on.

Im in Northern Canada and im having trouble locating sources of leather. We have Tandy leather. The problem is I would have to order online. Not knowing what type of leather I need im worried about spending a lot of cash and ending up with the wrong type of leather.

For heavy duty gun holsters and knife sheathes that will see a lot of hard use what sort of leather should I be looking for ?

Can I stitch these by hand ?

And I guess is there anything else I need to know before I get started ?

Thanks !

Hi Blackcat, I ve started leatherworking some months ago and I remember having the same questions, and I can assure you,here you can find the answers you'are looking for... I've learned a lot from this forum and also watching a lot of tutorials on youtube.

I make too western rigs and for what I I know metal lined holsters are for Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS), I don't know very much about metal lining and I'm willing to learn more, I'm sure someone will give you some suggestions.

The leather recommended for gun leather is generally 8/9 oz leather, since I'm from Italy we have a different mesurament system, we use millimiters for leather so 8/9 oz is generally 3mm.

Of course you can stitch by hand, the most common used method is saddlestitching, and there's plenty of tutorials here and demo on youtube.

If you want to learn how to make great and functional western holsters, you have to read this guide by Jim Simmons is simply awesome and explains pretty much everything!

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19338

Here you can find also some great patterns for getting started on western holsters http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19714

I'll also send you a link you to a great video on making cartridges loops for belts

Richard Black always explains the tools he uses and that you will need, I suggest you to watch all his videos, helped me big time with his tutorials.

Hope it helped

Cheers from Italy

Bruno

Edited by Bruno Rock

I don't know anything about gun holsters, but you certainly can hand sew your own knife sheaths. For heavy duty you would need 3 mm to 4 mm thick leather

I've just posted some suggestions for books & websites on the Resources section, but more especially go to

www.britishblades.com There is a section on their forum for sheaths and leatherwork

There seems to be a helluva lot of information on this site/forum too