Sign in to follow this  
Kevin King

2012, The Year Of The Handbag

Lot's of bags on the job-list lately.

Here are a couple additions to the KKL family. My new 143 line.

143= I Love You.

The, ‘I Love You’ or ‘I Miss You’, lighthouse is perched facing out into the Atlantic, on the very exposed Minot’s Ledge named after George Minot an 18th Century Boston Merchant, who lost a valuable ship on the rocks prior to the lighthouse. The ledge is part of the Cohasset Rocks, off Massachusetts, USA.

When in 1894 a new flashing lantern was installed in the 34 year old lighthouse it had a 1-4-3 sequence and very soon the number sequence was taken to represent ‘I Love You’ or ‘I Miss You’ (I /1 flash, Love /4 flashes, You /3 flashes). Over the years this simple lighthouse code has been a comfort to sailors from the area, their sweethearts and families. The story is now widely known and the code is much loved for itself.

post-3955-085098900 1328031580_thumb.jpg

post-3955-007483300 1328031582_thumb.jpg

post-3955-094723300 1328031582_thumb.jpg

post-3955-098140800 1328031583_thumb.jpg

post-3955-088749300 1328031584_thumb.jpg

post-3955-010055900 1328031586_thumb.jpg

post-3955-018008200 1328031587_thumb.jpg

post-3955-025724800 1328031588_thumb.jpg

post-3955-012563000 1328031590_thumb.jpg

post-3955-036498100 1328031757_thumb.jpg

post-3955-034040900 1328031758_thumb.jpg

post-3955-018226400 1328031759_thumb.jpg

post-3955-080140500 1328031759_thumb.jpg

post-3955-063026400 1328031756_thumb.jpg

144= I LOVE Them!!!

Amazing work, as always!

143= I Love You.

The, 'I Love You' or 'I Miss You', lighthouse is perched facing out into the Atlantic, on the very exposed Minot's Ledge named after George Minot an 18th Century Boston Merchant, who lost a valuable ship on the rocks prior to the lighthouse. The ledge is part of the Cohasset Rocks, off Massachusetts, USA.

When in 1894 a new flashing lantern was installed in the 34 year old lighthouse it had a 1-4-3 sequence and very soon the number sequence was taken to represent 'I Love You' or 'I Miss You' (I /1 flash, Love /4 flashes, You /3 flashes). Over the years this simple lighthouse code has been a comfort to sailors from the area, their sweethearts and families. The story is now widely known and the code is much loved for itself.

Very nice stuff. And thanks for sharing the legend. I love stuff like that.

Uh, oh... my marketing degree just kicked in.... May I suggest that you have some tags printed that outline the legend and attach them to the bags?

Edited by Sylvia

Those are gorgeous Kevin. Do you use your Juki for the bags?

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Russ

144= I LOVE Them!!!

Haha. Awesome. Thank you.

Amazing work, as always!

Thanks!

Very nice stuff. And thanks for sharing the legend. I love stuff like that.

Uh, oh... my marketing degree just kicked in.... May I suggest that you have some tags printed that outline the legend and attach them to the bags?

Already in the works. Thanks for the comment. :)

Those are gorgeous Kevin. Do you use your Juki for the bags?

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Russ

Thank you! Ya, love the thing! I'd be lost without it. As a matter-of-fact, if the house was on fire, the 80lb Juki would be the first thing I would grab....then the cat. haha.

Kevin - have you ever posted a workflow showing snippets of your process? I'm really curious how you work with those tiny slivers of leather. Do you tack them down with glue so they stay in place while sewing? And you use so many different kinds of leather - do you buy scrap bags? Or full hides? Actual Exotics - or embossed veg tan? Your recent wallets on your Facebook page are simply incredible. These bags are as well!

Your work never fails to inspire!

Kevin - have you ever posted a workflow showing snippets of your process? I'm really curious how you work with those tiny slivers of leather. Do you tack them down with glue so they stay in place while sewing? And you use so many different kinds of leather - do you buy scrap bags? Or full hides? Actual Exotics - or embossed veg tan? Your recent wallets on your Facebook page are simply incredible. These bags are as well!

Your work never fails to inspire!

Thanks for the compliment!

I have posted some WIP pics of how I sew down the layers to make the designs, but not the process I use to transfer and sew the designs. That is the only thing I am keeping to myself. Anything else, however, i'd be glad to share.

I have used some embossed leather, but for most of my work I use all real exotics. And, yes, I do buy full skins as well as dig through the scrap bin at the leather shop.

I am actually planning to update the tutorial I posted a while back because I have changed some things since I posted it.

Thanks again for all the nice words!

KK

Kevin

U rock, these are awesome....just as ur other work....just one PROBLEM here!!!!!!!!!!

I need to hide this page from my wife, or she shure will call u and want one of them nice bags....szzzzz....

Keep it up, always enjoy looking @ ur work!!

Aloha

James