johnggrg

Has Anyone Done A Tandy Mavrick Style Hat?

I was wondering if anyone has made one of the Tandy Mavrick style Hats. I was thinking of making one and wanted to see a finished one. The Tandy picture is old and not that clear. I have the pattern just want to see one that someone has done. I am wondering if this can be altered to look more like a bush hat. But would really just like to see a finished one. If someone could share a picture of the one they made it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. John

Or is a bush hat alot differant? Has anyone made one of those? If so is it alot differant then this pattern? Please let me know. I want to make one and this is the only pattern I have at the moment. John

could be called an outback hat to. John

I made a bunch of those Mavrick hats years ago, if I recall, the measurements in the patterns were too small for the head sizes.

Well according to the sizes I am a large. So I used just the inside measurment for the large size cut it out of some posterboard and it fit with a little extra but will be adding a sweat band which will take up some of that. I will more then likely have to wet form for final fit. I think it said from 7 1/4 to 7 1/2. Now the Mavrick hat has a 4inch brim so not using that. I am going to make the brim 3 inches. Then use the crown and top from the video. Yes the crown will be 2 peices but don't have the extra length for one peice. From what it said the peice's have to be 11 inches on one side and 13 on the other. Making each peice slope 1 inch on each end the way a triangle does if you can picture that. And they will be 4 3/4 high. From what it said it will dip in the front and back I guess. I will make it up out of posterboard first and go from there. Not sure what to use yet for the sweat band. John

I made a bunch of those Mavrick hats years ago, if I recall, the measurements in the patterns were too small for the head sizes.

Steadybrook. Do you happen to have a picture of a finished Maverick hat? I am wondering what one looks like done. The Tandy pattern has a picture but it is not to clear. From the picture it looks like the side panel flares out a little at the top. My idea above isn't going to work I think. So am thinking of using the side panel from the pattern except doing it like the video and turning it inside out so the seams are on the inside. One problem I am having is figuring out how to change the top so it has more of a point in front like the video one. I also changed the brim from 4 1/4 to a 3 inch brim. Any help would be greatly appreciated. John

I do not have any pictures.

I guess not to many people make hats here. . John

They were popular in the 80's

They were popular in the 80's

Steadybrook. I have a couple questions if you don't mind. I cut the brim out for the Tandy Maverick hat. The large size should fit from 7 1/4 to 7 1/2. Measuring around the inside opening it is 24 7/8 around. My head is 23. With the side panels in place will this still fit? It says to use 5-6 oz leather. I was thinking of using 3-4 oz plus 2-3 oz for sweatband. Doubled on the brim still of course. Do you think that would be ok for the hat and fit? Please let me know what you think. John

P.S I cut the side panel from the pattern and taped it together and it does get bigger around the top area. Just like I thought it looked like. So I am going to use the side panel idea from the video. Which would end up being 2 peices but will look better I think.

Edited by johnggrg

If I recall, the sides make the hat too small.Best to make it bigger especially with the sweat band.

If I recall, the sides make the hat too small.Best to make it bigger especially with the sweat band.

So how much do you think I need take off the edge all the way around? 1/8? John

I would take of the thickness of the sides on both side or all around.

Steadybrook. I will do that thank you. John

Lot of memories in a hat like that !! LOL

I made one in the mid `80's. I actually still have it, and yes, the pattern runs small for me too.406525176.jpg

Redtailhalk thank you for sharing the photo. I am only going to use the brim inside demention to start with for mine. I shortened the brim to 3 inches and widened the inside by 1/16. The top and sides are going to be differant. And I am going to make them to where the seam on the top will be on the inside. So I don't have the raised lip you see all the way around the top. Just going to sew it rough side out then turn it inside out and attach to the brim. It will look more like the one in the video when I am done. I'm trying to not have the cowboy look to it. Did you make that hat using 2 peices of 5-6 oz leather for the brim? Seems like it would be to thick if I did it using 2 peices as the instructions say. But it is my first so don't know. John

P.S Your hat looks great by the way.

Hey, John,

Thanks. i used 2-3 oz vegetable tan for the whole hat. i did use two layers of 2-3 oz for the brim glued flesh side to flesh side. It is plenty stiff using that thickness. I agree that 5-6 oz would be way too thick and weigh too much when finished.

Just an update. When I cut my 2 brims out and tried to line them up they would not line up right. I was wondering how this happened. Then I thought about it and realized the problem. When I trced the pattern on to the leather I did it on the smooth side for both. So when I tried to line them up rough side to rough side they wouldn't line up. So I tried lining them up smooth to rough and they lined up perfect. So that means I should have marked one of them on the rough side and they would have lined up perfect. My mistake. But thought I would share so no one else wastes there leather like I did. Unless your going to make 2 hats then it's not a waste I guess. So mark and cut one brim peice from the smooth side and mark and cut one from the rough side and they will line up perfect. John

I've made the Tandy Aristocrat/top hat and the pattern is in no way symmetrical. I basically redrew the brim entirely as neither the inside nor outside lines were close to matching. There was about 1/2" difference left to right in the original pattern

I am about to make one of these.I made the Top Hat a couple of years ago and it fits fine.After reading the comments I am going to cut one out of cardstock before I cut any leather this time :cowboy: I only have just enough black "lizard" embossed cowhide for one hat. LOL I will try to post a picture when I get it done.

I used the tandy pattern for a reference and made my own pattern for a "bush hat" here is a pic of a couple finished hats and a pic of one that after I was almost done sewing the brim on..I realized I had the wrong size brim with the wrong crown.... lesson learned.

post-39733-0-08102100-1401885796_thumb.j

post-39733-0-97858600-1401885811_thumb.j

Just wondering if you finished the hat ?

Here is a old photo of two hats I made 5 years ago.

The black one wasn't quite finished.

I didn't put the bend in the brim yet,& no hat band.

I used 4/5 oz, & it made the hat too heavy.

2/3 oz. would be better.

post-3080-0-91388300-1403200637_thumb.jp

Yes I did finish the hat. But somehow I messed up and it was a little small. So I gave it to a buddy. I never took a picture but I am sure he can send me one to put up here. It looks nothing like the regular hat. I made changes to the top. It came out like a fedora on the top. I made it from 4-5 oz. I which it would have been 2-3 oz. Everything seemed right so when it came out small i was reallt disapointed. I don't think I will ever do another because of that. To much work to not be used. But my friend will use it at least theres that. When I get a picture from him I will post it. John

I have one I made about 20 years ago, still wear it. It is a bit different than the pattern, yes, it ran a tad small for me also. I double loop braided the edge of the brim. The brim is a bit large and I didn't curl mine at all, I was into buckskinning at the time and it served pretty well as an umbrella, LOL.