frenchy07

Just Another Kansan

Well I guess howdy's are in order. Rediscovered this annoy, hair pulling, annoying wonderful hobby again after a 30+ year layoff. Way back when we had leather craft in HS and of course it was taught by the coolest teacher in the building (along with ceramics, art and unofficially golf club refinishing). See the instructor was our golf coach so all us golfers took it in the fall to refinish our woods (yes, at one time all of our "woods" were actually made from wood). Matter of fact many of the attitudes and teaching styles used by our art teacher I model today in my own classes.

Fast forward to last year when I finally got tired of buying crappy belts and I set out to make my own from real leather. One that would last more than a few months. Before this the last good belt I owned was found in Cabelas bargain cave on a whim stop. I dug around in my house and found a little leather box that was long lost among all my other crap, you see it contained my grandmothers leather tools. My grandmother used to upholster cars back in the 50's along with other things. These are the same tools my mom used in the 70's when she used to make those 3 legged stools for all the family. I am proud to say that these tools proudly occupy the front row in my tool collection and will always reside there and one of these days I will actually do them justice.

Then came my main mistake, I stopped in my local Tandy store. A place long lost to me but my sense of smell had never forgot the wonderful smells that originate there. Now came my belt fetish.Made the mistake of making my first one from latigo (sp). Great belt but you know how they stain when you sweat. Built another belt for a friend of mine as I had grown weary of seeing his butt crack on display and I was off and running.

Next came the task of making my own CCW holsters. I looked and looked for a good comfy holster and found it next to impossible to buy one without spending a small fortune (in my opinion anyway) so like any good handy man I resolved to build my own. I am proud to say I have actually sold some of my early holsters, I never intended to sell them but they just weren't what I was looking for so on a whim I tossed them on a table at a garage sale and they disappeared. Yeah they were cheap but they paid for my next mistake. Stopping at Springfield leather. Boy did that little stop cost me!

Still seeking that perfect holster I made my second IWB holster for my newly acquired toy that accompanies almost everywhere I go. Canted it 20 deg and wahlah I was happy! But it was ugly. Made the 3rd canted at 25 deg., added some cowgator for looks and support, lined it in pigskin and discovered how a good fitting holster can make carrying a gun all day possible. This one, the one I loved, I gave to a friend. Sharing is good! and it gives you another excuse to build on!

Discovered this wonderful place, made friend with the manager at my local Tandy store and dove head long into carving and tooling. Before you tell me "this thread is worthless without pics", someday I will be proud enough to post my work, someday. For now I, along with all the rest of you, am my worst enemy and don't believe I am worthy to show my work, yet.

I glean ideas from you all, get inspired by you all and strive to actually do something worthy. Till then you will see me lurking around as this is 10x's more that I would actually say in real life.

TTFN

Brian

Hey Brian, look forward to seeing some of those pics.

From another Brian in Kansas

Thanks Brian (that sounds a little......uh.......oh never mind). Now here's the real irony! My son in law is a firefighter in Panama City Beach, FL.

Pics? Well maybe, I just really hosed up my first attempt at Sheridan style roses. Oh well. Live, learn and move on.

Welcome, fellow Kansan! I'm in SE Ks. Hope to see some of your work soon

Howdy from another Kansan... although I'm just a transplant from Colorado.