Red Cent

Fixing By Hand The End And Beginning Of A Machine Stitch

I am new to the leather craft scene. I bought a Cobra 4 and finally I have it dialed in. However, I do not like the "two forward, one back" lockstitch routine. It does not look good. Can/will someone describe how to "finish" the begining and end of a line of stitches with a machine? I have watched the saddle stitch and others but I don't see it applied to the situation.

Scene: You have an 8-9 ounce outer and a 4-5 ounce liner. You have cut, glued, sanded, and ready to sew. Instead of a forward and back lockstitch lockstitch, can one simply sew the required area and take the "tails" of the threads and, by hand, secure the stitches by hand on each end of the stitch line?

When I start a stitch:

I back stitch 3 stitches (4 holes) and begin sewing.

When I end:

I back stitch 3 stitches.

I do this hand stitching and machine stitching.

What you describe is pretty much what I usually do. I don't like the standard "backstitch" either, having seen them come undone (though usually with light threads). Even with this "backtak" thing. So, I generally put 2-3 'saddle' stitches at each end of the project (assuming there are two ends, not meeting back whre I started). Looks nicer, and for a few minutes of my time I have piece of mind that if the first one doesn't come loose, then the 2nd and so on won't either.

Not misspelled, I really mean PIECE of my mind....

I leave the tails long on the needle and bobbin at the start and stopping point. I sew over top of where I started where applicable, and back stitch a couple of stitches. Then I use a sharp awl on the backside and pull the top threads through the back and tie them off and melt them. This wont be helpful if youre doing something where both side are visible of course, but its a strong fix without a bunch of ugly on the top side.

Chuck

I use this method as well sometimes. I then tie a reef knot in the threads and pull really tight. Cut ends and melt.

Reef knot: Left over right then right over left. cheers

Trevor, sounds like a square knot. The area where the "locking the stitch" occurs is in the welt of a holster. The Bianchi tapes have you sew across the bottom and maybe a couple of stitches up the sides. Then you need to sew all the way around the holster and backflap.

When you glue the holster fold and start to stitch, you have another "locking the stitch" at top and bottom. I usually line the holsters and was wondering what is the way to lock the stitch and hide the stitch by hand?

Please describe in as much detail as possible. Learnin' doncha know.

Hey redcent

You can choose to hide the finished stitches in a few ways I guess. Most of the time I do the backstitch for 3 or 4 then finish with 3 or 4 and that is the common-as-muck way of doing it I believe.

If I was doing a nice holster like you describe, where the ends are hidden do the "reef knot" on the inside tie it tight and cut and melt. That will never come un-done unless the thread breaks or is worn.

The other way that comes to mind is where you would finish with your machine stitch then put your hand-stitch needles on and start the "Saddle stitch" by hand. While you are passing the threads from side to side, tie the passing threads in a knot so that it can be pulled into the stitch hole without being seen. That is as they cross.

I don't think that you can get away without some kind of backstitch where you need it "NOT" to come un-done. If you do it correctly by laying your thread properly it will look good. Remember to melt the thread not burn it. I make lots and lots of leather stuff and generally use the backstitch method. You can cut the ends off tightly with sharp scissors and then melt the tiny ends that are still visible. Good luck and Im sure you will find a happy place with your sewing.

Cheers

Thanks Trevor. I do most of the stuff you mention other than tying off. I have tried the back first and forward but this still leaves a double thread in that stitch and you add another double stitch when you sew the fold and it bothers me. Not that good yet but as I learn from folks like you, I will get there.

I have sewn with the saddle stitch and will definitely try it. One would have to tie the knot on one side or the other and firmly pull the knot into the leather, correct. And I suppose one would use the reef/square knot also.

Yes if you tie the knot while its on one side then pull it inside the leather to hide it. Reef knot and square knot.. same thing. Right over left..... then left over right. Its for tying two threads or rope or whatever of the same thickness together.(more or less).

Now lets see if i can do this very neatly. Didn't plan it but they ended up together, kinda.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/redcent69/Random%20pictures/IMG_0105_zps9075c616.jpg

Edited by Red Cent