Sign in to follow this  
Amoeba

How Do I Make This, And What Is It Called?

Hello there! This is my first post, so please forgive me if I have broken any rules. If I have, I apologise in advance, please let me know what I've done wrong.

Anyhow, the subject of my enquiry is this:

Military Fix Type Closure

My interest is the closure method. It is described as a 'Military Fix Type Closure'

I have scoured the internet and my books on leatherwork, but to no avail. I don't even know what it's called, apart from their description given above. I have had some ideas as to how to make it, but since I am new to leatherwork, I'm sure you people with much more knowledge and experience would be able to set me on the right path.

Essentially, I would like to know what it's called; ways to make it; its advantages and disadvantages; where to find-out more and so-on.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello there! This is my first post, so please forgive me if I have broken any rules. If I have, I apologise in advance, please let me know what I've done wrong.

Anyhow, the subject of my enquiry is this:

Military Fix Type Closure

My interest is the closure method. It is described as a 'Military Fix Type Closure'

I have scoured the internet and my books on leatherwork, but to no avail. I don't even know what it's called, apart from their description given above. I have had some ideas as to how to make it, but since I am new to leatherwork, I'm sure you people with much more knowledge and experience would be able to set me on the right path.

Essentially, I would like to know what it's called; ways to make it; its advantages and disadvantages; where to find-out more and so-on.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I think what you are searching for is a strap or handle loop

You can find something similar in the Ohiotravelbag Katalog on page 37

OTB Catalog

But I am pretty sure you can also find this kind of hardware also in the UK.

It could be that this type of closure is called "Military..." because of its strenght, not much parts can break and more important it is easy to open in a combat situation.

I can remember we had those kind of closures on our ammo pouches when I had my military service.

Cheers,

Marcel

I have used this type of closier before, what it is called is a Footmans Loop,it is

rivited to the front of the bag then cut a slot for it to come thru the flap

Weaver has them or check out Ohio Travel Bag.

Chris,

Welcome to LW from another Brit (though living 'abroad').

Try http://www.abbeysaddlery.co.uk/product_detail.cfm?id=B070

They call it a shaft staple.

Abbey are happy to deal with small orders and non-commercial set-ups and they're helpful.

And they're in the UK. You'll have to register with them to view their prices (56p each for 1" wide to 97p each for 2" wide).

Gary

Thank-you to everyone for all your very helpful replies and your guidance. Now I know what the hardware looks like and what they're called, I can do some research and find-out what their limitations and advantages are. It's also really handy to know the different names used in the UK and the US.

Once again, thanks for your help.