HellcatLeathers

Belt Repair: Should I Give A Refund?

A man wanted his ranger belt shortened by 1.5". He specified that in an email. He wanted it cut out of the middle of the belt and sewn back together. I told him I thought that would sacrifice the integrity of the belt since it was one solid piece of leather. I suggested he take it off the tapered/hole end. He said okay.

I charged him $15, did it and shipped it back. His WIFE called me today to tell me he wants his money back and I didn't do what he told me to do. She was rude, loud, and was looking for an argument. I told her something like: "Well, your husband is my customer and he and I discussed numerous times via email what he wanted and I did what he paid me to do. I'm sorry you don't like it. I'll gladly refund you the $15."

That shut her up. Then I called my customer, the husband. He was as nice as can be. I don't think he knew his wife called me. I think she was pissed off he spent "alot of money" on his ranger belt and then when it didn't fit properly, he blamed it on me. He said he recently lost a lot of weight and couldn't wear the belt, so he needed it altered as the company he ordered it from wouldn't take a return.

So, a belt maker that doesn't take returns and a pissed off wife, and I get the blame. Nice. Oh well, I'll think of it like this....I'm paying them $15 not to be my customer again.

Have any of you given returns for any repairs?

While I have not been in your position (yet), I'm alway prepared to have to return the money. I think you did the right thing.

Now think of it as when she needs a purse fixed, you can alway say no.

I don't know. That's a hard one. I stand by my work and will gladly refund the money if I did something wrong. But, this sounds like a case where you had to admit fault just to spare your name. Now thy guy basically got his belt shortened for free. The bad part is that it probably didn't spare your name. I might have offered to have her send it back and I'll stitch the piece back on :)

I guess the question is, was $15 worth the bad publicity from her while keeping him happy. Bottom line is that you didn't do anything wrong and have several emails to back it up.

I'm with Cyber. I stand by all my work, and if it's something I did wrong, I'll gladly fix the problem, re-do the order, or give a refund. However, if I've done what the customer ordered, and can prove it with e-mails, etc., I'm pretty hard pressed to give their money back. Chances are, as was mentioned, even if I do give the money back just to alleviate a conflict, the customer will or already has bad mouthed my reputation and integrity. That being said, I would keep the money and at least I would have something to show for the brain damage. Maybe being a broke ol' rodeo boy makes me a bit more sensitive about my money, but I darn sure am not gonna eat someone else's mistake. I'll eat my own, but not somebody else's. Anyway, just my two cents.

After a few repairs of belts and holsters I came to one conclusion...it just isn't worth it.

Each one was satisfied with the repair or alteration but shocked by the price. Even though they knew up front what the charge would be. And, in every case it took longer than expected to do and not one was profitable. Nor did it generate any new business, in fact I had one guy come back with his new El Cheapo holster and want modifications. "Sorry, not today, send it back and have the manufacturer do it. Oh, what? They won't do that? Should have just had me make you what you wanted, but heck, you just enjoy your new holster."

The only thing I will repair or alter now is any of my own work and western saddles.

The saddles have a detailed repair worksheet with all charges and the customer's signature as well as a 50% non-refundable deposit.

Since I have stopped doing belt and holster repairs I have not had one upset customer.

Just my opinion.

It is worth the $15 to not have him as a customer again. Send the money back. Imagine who the poor guy feels, he has to live with her every day.

I would have asked her to let her husband know that he needs to contact me with his issue being as HE is my customer and not her. Further, all repairs are done to the customer's specifications and request, which is what you did, so that means that if it is wrong it is because HE did not provide proper information which is too bad, so sad. I won't even return or replace a custom belt that I do if the fit is wrong because the customer did not follow proper measuring procedures. I stress this point repeatedly and make it very clear that if it doesn't fit because you gave the wrong information, too bad. I provide detailed instructions of exactly how to measure their waist and make it very clear that this is the number that it will be made to. I also explain to them that if they are currently dieting or trying to lose weight, they need to wait until they have achieved their goal and then get back to me.

In your situation, giving him back his money made you feel better but it did nothing to save your reputation. I have even asked people just like this to no longer be a client of mine as my right to refuse service to a difficult person or scammer is in my best interest. They can talk all they want, who are they talking to anyway? People with the same mentality as they have so what difference does it make? You just saved yourself from further scamming and abuse.

Now that is more than $0.02 worth but it isn't taxable so not a big deal.

I keep email records of "everything". Thats why I "always" ask my customers to confirm via email or I do and make sure they respond in the affirmative. I stand by my work as well but some customers

do not pay attention or understand the challanges of good leatherwork.

This is a multi-faceted scenario. Sorry you had to go through this. I too had a similar event with a holster. First of all, I've found the low dollar spenders are the biggest pain - period! I've had a couple of minimal orders come back with reworks, and I've done them...for the same reason you did. The big spenders are always happy and send more customers - always!

A fellow came into my shop last year wanting an Indiana Jones replica of a holster and the belt to match. I way undercharged him because I wanted the project to show my work. Well, he could not get the Taurus .357 revolver to me as it was his fathers and this was a Christmas gift. I did the best I could, but the holster was just too tight for the fathers hand to pull out the gun. As he had never shown me the gun, or his fathers hand, I was shooting in the dark. He ended up taking the belt, but left the holster at my shop in a huff. I called twice to let him know I had a refund, but no return call. I still have the refund check in my wallet and may be seeing this fellow at the Oregon Knife Collector Association show in April. I really don't want to give back the money, and no doubt he has already told his buddies what a poor job I did. I am on the fence on this. I could lose the cash and give it back and have it not make any difference in the end. Now I have work orders with instructions signed & initialed. Also 1/2 down if the customer does not leave his firearm with me. There are additional charges if the customer wants changes to a project mid-stream - so says my print at the bottom of the work order. That has worked out well and have not had issues since.

This is an old one, but i'm loud enough to jump in and reply (replay) anyway. I don't do repairs on anything I didn't personally make.

Well, wait -- if that girl that was here decides she wants her top altered, might be coaxed a bit there ...

Edited by JLSleather

This is an old one, but i'm loud enough to jump in and reply (replay) anyway. I don't do repairs on anything I didn't personally make.

Well, wait -- if that girl that was here decides she wants her top altered, might be coaxed a bit there ...

Make sure you do some personal measurements and a couple of fittings to make sure the top fits right !

Customer service has always been a tricky thing, . . . because the receiver and the doer always have a different perception of problem and solution, . . . to say nothing of price.

Back when I was a kid, . . . I had a Zippo lighter I sent back for "repair". All they did was pull out and throw away the insides, . . . slid in a new one.

I wanted it "REPAIRED !!!"

It took me a few minutes to calm down, . . . but once I did, . . . it taught me one of the most valuable lessons of life in that "perception" thing.

I now follow Zippo's lead, . . . if I made it, . . . I'll make it right. I've lost money over the years, . . . and not every customer is happy, . . . but I'm sure more went away happy than cursing the day I was born.

Recently had a fellow with a belt problem, . . . made exactly to his numbers, . . . and he measured it right. Old belt was sloppy, . . . went around him like a latex glove, . . . new one didn't. He sent back the one I made him, . . . I sent him a new one, . . . I charged him the shipping, . . . everyone is happy.

Uhh, . . . anybody want to buy a 34 inch black, 1 1/2 inch wide dress gun belt? Almost brand new :thumbsup: !

And, . . . Hellcat, . . . I think you did it right.

Oh, . . . and, . . . ummm, . . . (did you ever consider the fact that you were doing what you could to make the man happy, . . . and his wife resented that?? , . . . just may be a lesson in there, . . . I've seen stranger stuff as a pastor).

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight