Early2rise

Oxalic Cleaning On Tooled Designs

I read where quite a few people clean their leather before finishing using oxalic acid. I specifically remember hidepounder saying this. Here's my question: How do you prevent it from causing your tooling to look washed out? After all, your adding water to the tooling. Also, do you let your tooling dry before cleaning or immediately after the tooling is finished? Thanks

I usually use the OA wash after I get done tooling. The leather is almost dry then. I use HO leather and I have not had any problems with the extra water doing anything to the tooling. I don't use it on every piece I do, just the ones that have a bloch or dis coloration of some sort. Use about 2 tablespoons to a quart of water. I use a sponge and be sure to wear rubber gloves. Be sure to wash out the sponge or it will eat it up in a day or so.

RC

I haven't had any problems with OA. Just remember to rinse very thoroughly afterwards. I use the same mix as Randy. Yeah, it does eat sponges! lol.

Ray

Thanks for the input. I've used it quite a bit on smooth leather but never on my tooling. I was just concerned about it washing out my tooling, much the same thing that happens when you keep rewetting a piece while tooling. All the fine lines of the tool seem to round out and won't hold antiquing as well. It used to happen to me a lot before I finally learned how to properly case. Now I seldom have to add any moisture at all.

Not sure what you are doing here. I rewet all the time. My seats have a bit of complicated tooling so it may take 2-3 days to complete. Storing in the fridge in a baggie turns the leather way too soft. I just let it dry and rewet. It works for me.

Dave Theobald