I have been doing some work for a local collector of older saddles. He brough in a pair of army saddle bags to be repaired but after looking at them I felt that they may be worth more if left alone that if I repaired them. They are marked with the US brand but when I looked closer they are also stamped, " Rock Island Armory" 1914 HSM

Anyone that can share some knowledge of the value of them. The Gussett in one of the bags is completly come loose. The were assembled wrong side out then turned right side out after sewing. So I would have to completly disassemble them to attempt a repair.

I may take some pictures of his collection with makers stamps. Some of you would enjoy.

Randy

Randy, I found this in regards to "Rock Island Armory" it's all about hand guns though, but maybe will give you some info that you need.

Ken

In the early years the "Rock Island Armory" was one of the US Army's depo's for all kinds of Military equipment. In that era the the US Army made it's own weapons like the 1903 rifle and others along with all other kinds of equipment. Later on the Rock Island Armory factory was sold and now is a privite company like the link you provided.

Are we the only ones up at 4:00 AM, I am actually working. LOL

Randy

Are we the only ones up at 4:00 AM, I am actually working. LOL

Just having a hard time sleeping lately, been surfing and surfing just to pass the time. Should be pounding leather if I'm up, but just can't get into it.

Ken

P.S. Don't work so hard, and why are you surfing the net while working????? :eusa_naughty:

You sure they aren't marked from the Rock Island Arsenal (not armory)? It is still in existence and is a government owned weapons manufacturing arsenal. A friend of mine works there and it is the largest facility of its kind in the western world.

Now for the bags I am no expert but I can tell you that I wanted a pair to mount on a saddle I am fixing up, (see the other thread in this forum about "trying to fix up this old saddle") and I looked and looked on ebay for near 8 months waiting for a decent pair to come along at a reasonalble price and I can tell you that all models of these bags go for a fair amount of money particularly if they are in good shape and original. In fact anything McClellan is pretty popular these days. I finally bought this pair

8a31_12.jpg

and I had to give (I'm almost embarrased to say this) $225. They are in good shape though as you can see. I'd say they generally go for $100 - $250 depending on condition and the rarity (who made them & how many were made) the most expensive I saw went for $350 and were canvas, they were a real late model w/very few made. I'd say anything made at RIA might be a pretty big production run but you would have to look in some book to find out exactly what the marks on the bag you have mean and how many were produced. About repairing them its hard to tell what I would do without seeing them but if they are in a state of disrepair I would at least try to put them back to correct configuration. If they have well done period repairs that is OK but all boogered up no. If its just some sewing your talking about to repair the bags your friend has that doesn't sound like to much of a big deal. It would probably be worth it.

For the ones I have I also found some McClellan parts to mount the bags, the brass pin and the "footman" loops the bags attach on to. I haven't yet, but intend to rig these up on a strap the way they would have been on a McClellan and make it so this strap can be mounted on my old saddle. TC

You sure they aren't marked from the Rock Island Arsenal (not armory)? It is still in existence and is a government owned weapons manufacturing arsenal. A friend of mine works there and it is the largest facility of its kind in the western world.

You must be in the Quad Cities then or your friend is at the very least. :) I grew up in East Moline and my mom worked at the Arsenal before I was born. I am in SoCal now though, can't stand the fridged weather. :)

Mike