OdinUK

How To Make Large Dog Collar Sturdy Enough For A St Bernard

Hi All,

I'm looking for information on how to make a dog collar sturdy enough for a St Bernard. Ive seen many dog collars in the collars section, and Ive seen a number of methods to fix the hardware. However, I'm not sure If any special precautions or construction techniques should be used for such a big dog.

My first thoughts would be to have the buckle and D loop hand sewn in and then to use rivets. I was also considering 10oz or 3.5 - 4mm thick leather 2 inches wide.

I'd be interested to hear your comments on this matter. Thank you.

Are you planning on using a 2 inch buckle or stepping it down to one inch?

I was considering to use a 2 in wide strap and possibly a 2 in buckle and D loop, but now I'm thinking it may be too wide. Maybe better to go for 1.5 in strap and 1.5 in buckle. I wouldn't want it to be restrictive for the dog.

That's why I was asking, most common buckles for dogs are one inch and smaller.

Webbing might be another choice as well.

I've made big dog collars with buckles as large as 1.5". The center part of the collar can be even wider, with the straps tapering down to 1.5" to reduce bulk.

Here are some ways I reinforce a collar (at the customer's request) for a strong dog.

1. Use a thick leather. At least 8-9oz

2. Hand stitch a lining all the way around the collar. The thread and the lining help prevent stretching and disfigurement of the leather.

3. If you're REALLY concerned about the pulling power of this particular dog, you can sandwich fibreglass tape between the collar and the lining.

4. Definitely hand sew the hardware. You could add rivets too, for good measure.

If you do all of this, I think that collar could restrain even Godzilla.

I would just add that rivets are not the best choice where strength is a concern. I would always use stitching and/or chicago screws in stress points.

We're considering the possibility of a 200 pound dog tearing up a 1 1/2 inch wide collar,........... c'mon guys.

Ever seen horse harness??? Two or three or four horses, . . . 1000 pounds each, . . . pulling on a simple doubled leather strap, . . . most of the time just sewn together, . . . pulling plows, . . . discs, . . . wagons.

The main thing when making a strap that will be used for pulling, . . . NEVER sew across the strap. It makes a perforation line, . . . and that IS THE PLACE where the strap will some day break.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you for your comments and advice everyone. That's a great help.

Hello Odin,

For what it's worth, here is a pdf I have found. Comments are in French but the pictures may be quite talking for themselves :

http://www.decocuir.com/Files/26684/Collier_pour_chien.pdf

As you are talking about a Saint Bernard, you might choose for a large piece of leather so he/she won't be strangled with it.

Dwight is quite right, depends of what you intend to do with the collar : just tag your dog or control it with the leash. If you want to control it, you might then better choose for a harness than a collar (I had Setters and I quickly moved to harnesses when they dragged me along twice, so I can't imagine what it's like with a St Bernard skinaut1.gif)

The interest of this template is that they use 2 layers of leathers to make the collar.

Hope this helps.

Don't forget to post pics of the beast with his/her new collar :thumbsup:

Cheers

I've made a couple of dog collars and had a relatively small dog break a 1" wide collar. The culprit? The dog spent a lot of time in the water, and the owner never conditioned or cared for the leather (which was veg-tan - latigo or english bridle may have held up better). Eventually it got brittle and broke.

So I guess my point is that protecting it from moisture has to be considered, as will educating the owner in how to care for leather if they're ignorant. Don't make my mistake!

ok, make the collar with 2 layers of leather, find some wide plastic strapping (looks woven, used in packaging in strapping shipped good to pallets) sandwich in between the leather, sew the leather together so the strapping is held into place and wont show ( gluing the strapping and leather will help while sewing). I always sew on either side of the rivets of strength. the leather wont stretch, and will be reinforced.

Thanks again for the tips. I know the strapping you mean. I'll consider it. Thank you all!

Large dogs like Mastiff type dogs need a very wide collar to support their neck bone structure....a 2 inch wide collar is just fine for a St. Bernard!!

They will pull, or you have to be corrected....it is unhealthy even dangerous for a large breed to have narrow collars....has nothing to do with breaking it or giving.....it also looks silly to have an 1 inch collar on a 200 pound dog!

All my Mastiffs have 2 and 3 inch collars.

double layer 8 oz leather and connect hard ware with stitching NOT across the strap, then secure with additional Chicago screws on stress points......done!!

correction: they will pull, or have to be corrected! haha...