Sign in to follow this  
bruce johnson

looking for the Ben Veach "fast buckles"

I am looking for the Ben Veach "fast buckles" (stirrup leather buckles) in SS and 2-1/2" width. I have enough 3" for now. I have some barrel racers that like them. The contact numbers I have for the store that he worked at and other listings are all disconnected. I remembered a while back that I read they were looking for someone to cast them, their previous guy retired or something. If someone has some spares to sell or has had recent contact I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by bruce johnson

Bruce,

Carlos and I had a repair job on a saddle that needed new leathers and buckles, and it was fitted with Veach buckles. We couldn't find a source, and finally had to use Blevins on it. I'll be watching this thread to see if anybody can point us to a source.

Mike

Mike,

Ben Veach was working in Brackney's Western Store in Greencastle, IN. When I got going on this deal, I used to order them directly from him at the store. I read somewhere (ShopTalk?) that they were looking for someone new to make them. Now the numbers I have for "Fast Buckle" and Brackney's are coming back as disconnected.

When I google "fast buckle" it leads me to Circle Y saddles. They are listed as standard on some saddles. Calls to Circle Y are a dead end. Nobody there knows anything nor do they know within who might. These buckles are pretty handy for some people, but they do require a keeper. They are made from round rod, and ride over a latigo pretty smoothly. They also twist in a shorter radius than Blevins. I have some barrel racing clients who like them. I have also put them on grand entry and a couple utility saddles for timers and flaggers because they can be changed quickly. They use the same hole spacing/size as Blevins which is nice.

My next option will be to have them try the Superior buckles if I can't find a source for more of these.

Edited by bruce johnson

You'd think that, if they're standard issue, somebody at the company would know where they are getting them. Maybe when Clay goes out for doughnuts he could find some...

Mike,

A little more info today. I talked to a medium sized shop that uses (used) the Veach buckles a lot. Apparently the patent and rights were sold to a company. That company has reportedly decided to keep them as "their" thing for now. It is not Circle Y. Apparently this guy and a guy fairly high up in CY are friends, and that is how Circle Y got started with them. The trail is kind of cold at this stage. It would have to be someone big enough to justify keeping something like that for themselves. Equibrand (Dale Martin), maybe Cactus, someone like that I would have to guess. It will come out eventually. Meanwhile I am thinking to go to Superior buckles. I think a while back Greg said we need to harass Sonny Felkins enough to make 2 hole ones. I have just enough of the Veach to finish this deal, and then I am out of the 2-1/2".

Bruce, not sure if this is him or not, but I found this in a google search.

Ben Veach

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the link. That was him, and I just got off the phone with him. He has sold the rights, and no longer has any control of them. Intersting talk. I like those old guys. I am still looking for more if anybody has some.

I think Pete Gorrell was using them when I attended the 1st Saddle Week. Maybe he might have some, or know where you could get some?