Sluggo001

Tip For Leather Box Makers

I make a lot of boxes with mitered and sewn corners. I normally make wooden forms to wet-mold them to perfect squares.

I make different sizes and I got sick of pulling out the table saw.

I found something better.

Target has a version of the Jenga game...small identical wooden blocks. I creatively place them inside and make it tight with scrap leather.

Another benefit is that they aren't as difficult to remove as a form. Remove one from the center and they all come out easily.

I told my wife I'm an genius...she's still skeptical.

I would suggest picking up a copy of the Leatherworking Handbook by Valerie Michael. Ignore the creepy masks. They're just weird.

She's got a section on the butt stitch and box stitch. The box stitch is the traditional stitch used for boxes and tubes. The butt stitch is the traditional stitch used for joining pieces of leather in the same dimension.

The block trick is the same trick milners use to make shaped hats with smaller brims than crowns. They make a form the right shape out of wood and cut it into several pieces, usually 6 using # custs. When the center block is removed the other pieces can then be removed easily, keeping the shape of the hat.

I make a lot of boxes with mitered and sewn corners. I normally make wooden forms to wet-mold them to perfect squares.

I make different sizes and I got sick of pulling out the table saw.

I found something better.

Target has a version of the Jenga game...small identical wooden blocks. I creatively place them inside and make it tight with scrap leather.

Another benefit is that they aren't as difficult to remove as a form. Remove one from the center and they all come out easily.

I told my wife I'm an genius...she's still skeptical.

LEGO blocks work well also