DavidL

Are Pricking Irons And Pricking Wheels The Same?

This probably is a stupid questions but I was thinking of picking up a pricking iron but saw that pricking wheels are cheaper. Does the pricking wheels have indents that are slanted? Also which are good brands of both pricking

irons or wheels?

http://www.goodsjapan.jp/category?top_searchString=pricking+iron&searchString=pricking+iron Awsome quality for the price.

Ironss are tapped part way in to mark the hole. They are not punches. I doubt you could do even close to the same thing with a wheel, I could be wrong.

Aaron

Hi, They are not the same, but do the same job. They both make angled stitch marks in your leather. As the name indicates a pricking wheel has a carriage. The pricking irons are a toothed iron chisel that has to be hit by a maul. They come in different sizes, and stitches per inch. Irons make a clearer impact, wheels a more consistent seam mark.

With some wheels, you need to wet (case) your leather first to get a clear impressions. Some brands like French Vergez Blanchard make a huge shoulder pricking wheel. This have a very long shaft, you can lean your shoulder on to get more pressure and a better impression.

Those big Blanchard’s are called “Griffe à molette”. They come with four different wheels that are stored in the top of the shaft, in a small brass ball. Those are pretty expensive. Joseph Dixon, an English toolmaker is also making those huge shoulder wheel frames, together with irons and normal wheel carriages as well. The most expensive ones are the Griffe a molette with a adjustable guide, those are about 270 $ bought in France

http://www.vergez-blanchard.fr/boutique/liste_produits.cfm?type=15&code_lg=lg_fr&num=2

http://www.josephdixon.co.uk/products.asp?tfsearch=pricking+wheels&type=1&search.x=0&search.y=0

A good US source for used quality pricking wheel is Bruce Johnson, he is a LW member and dealer of used leather tools. His tools are cleaned up and ready to use.

http://brucejohnsonleather.com/content/index.php/leather_tools_for_sale/leather-stitch-markers-stitch-groovers-and-channelers/

Both Blanchard and Dixon makes various of pricking irons, in different sizes and width. CS Osborne makes three different sizes 6, 7 and 8 cuts per inch.

Trox

This probably is a stupid questions but I was thinking of picking up a pricking iron but saw that pricking wheels are cheaper. Does the pricking wheels have indents that are slanted? Also which are good brands of both pricking

irons or wheels?

Trox,

Both of the Blanchard carriages I currently have for sale have the angled teeth points. One has 8,10, and 12 per inch. The other one has 10 and 12 angled teeth pricking wheels and a #10 overstitcher. Here's a link - Pricking wheel carriages

Thanks,

Bruce

I heard about some pricking irons used by leather fashion houses, like Hermes use pricking irons that make marks like \\\\\\ instead of ////// is there any benefits to those irons?

I heard about some pricking irons used by leather fashion houses, like Hermes use pricking irons that make marks like \\\\\\ instead of ////// is there any benefits to those irons?

Have a look at http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=31910&st=15&p=241077&hl=portmanteau&fromsearch=1entry241077

Gary

Thank you Bruce, I am aware of your fine Blanchard Griffe a Molette`s (French Pricking wheels). Most people do not know what they cost to buy new; otherwise, you would not still have them. The reason I did not buy one is that I was looking for one with a fence (guide). Yesterday I was lucky to win this one on EBay:

This is made of a rare German maker, Melzer & Feller. I googled him to find out he also made parade daggers for the German WW2 SS and SA. I guess every toolmaker had to make weapons during the war. I might have seen you have a saddler or carpet hammer of the same maker?

Anyway, this Pricking wheel also has four wheels, which number stitches per inch I do not know yet.

Trox

Trox,

Both of the Blanchard carriages I currently have for sale have the angled teeth points. One has 8,10, and 12 per inch. The other one has 10 and 12 angled teeth pricking wheels and a #10 overstitcher. Here's a link - Pricking wheel carriages

Thanks,

Bruce

post-10237-089435500 1345720252_thumb.jp

post-10237-014446300 1345720254_thumb.jp

Pricking irons are largely associated with the saddlery trade, wheels tend to be associated with shoemaking. As Saddlers we are trained only to use pricking irons, you can get much tighter into turns with irons, something that you can't always do with a wheel.

Hi DavidL there is a difference between the pricking irons/wheels with the teeth going in different directions.

The ones with the teeth going /////// are for "double hand" stitching, with two needles.

The ones going \\\\\\\\\ are for "single hand" stitching with one needle its like backstitch, you will find that if the wrong stitch marker is used the stitches don't sit as neatly.

Not true. Both irons can be used for the double saddle stitch. Hermes uses the \\\\\\\ irons for their goods. It only changes the direction of the slants the stitches go. However, you have to change how you stitch to get it done correctly.