Hi all,

Here's something I finished recently. It was for a repeat customer. She wanted a notebook that could hold two 3x5 spiral notebooks but still be small enough to fit into her shirt pocket. And, it needed a floral carved cover. This was the end result. She was thrilled with it.

post-15714-0-46706600-1396186311_thumb.jpost-15714-0-43082900-1396186344_thumb.jpost-15714-0-08229100-1396186372_thumb.j

Thanks for looking!

Bob

The tooling is beautifuly done. How long does something like that take?

Looks good Bob...The tooling is great!

Redochre, it would normally take around 8 hours to make something like this. About half of that is lacing because I'm not very fast at lacing. With this one I probably had a couple of extra hours just making sure I could make it. She had very specific dimensions she wanted, and the height isn't much more than the height of the notebook. I actually mocked up a panel with lacing to make sure it would all fit within the cover before I committed to making it.

Thanks Jack for the compliment! I keep trying to get better.

Bob

Really nice job. Your backgrounding is really consistent and smooth. The mockups often take more time than the real thing, except for tooling time.

Which tools did you use for the geometric pattern on the back?

Tom

Thanks Tom! The geometrics are two Barry King tools. The outside part that kind of looks like two veiners he calls a seashell tool ( I think it's the larger size he makes) and then there is a inner part called a filler that looks like a dot with little rays coming from it. They've been a fantastic investment because I keep getting custom order requests for that design.

Bob

Lovely work, Bob.

I have that seashell tool , now I know I should have purchased the filler tool as well. :-)

Thanks Rosiart! He makes a couple of different fillers now and he's making different kinds of shell tools too, so I've been getting them to make different combinations. I even got one that I think Barry said was a filler but it kind of looks like a border stamp. Looks nice too.

post-15714-0-36218500-1396230724_thumb.j

Oo, pretty. I love the textures. I bet both sides are as nice to touch as they are to look at.

Bob, that tooling is outstanding - really. + 1 on that background for the flower it adds such depth. Way to go!

Great job

Great job the background is very precise. Do you always do three doubles on your lacing corners?

Thanks all for the compliments!

Papadanny, yes when I lace the corners I pass through the three corners slits twice. Also, I round the corner so it looks smoother and rounded.

Bob