Old Navy

How Thick Can I Go?

Hi,I just set up my Consew 206 R.It works great.I sewed 2 pieces of veg tan 5 oz.leather through it and it went ok.Is that the thickest that I should put through it?My son is working on making new seat covers for his boat.I guess thats why we need 2 different machines,one for sail cloth and 1 for heavy leather.Thanks,navy

If that machine is a portable walking foot machine, the maximum thickness it will sew, without modifications, is 5/16". Also, if you attempt to sew over 1/4" vegtan belt leather on such a machine you will need to install the Monster Wheel, from Sailrite.

The portable Chinese walking foot machines can be modded to handle up to 3/8" under the feet, but require the Monster Wheel for the necessary punching power.

Do you just crank the handle or use motor and crank to get the thicker leather through?Thanks,navy

Do you just crank the handle or use motor and crank to get the thicker leather through?Thanks,navy

Hi Old Navy, the Consew 206 will sew up to 20oz. It is a walking foot machine with needle feed (compound feed), and is a good machine. If it was at an upholstery shop, then you will probably want to put a speed reducer on it to slow it down. Also you will want to use smooth bottom feet so they don't mark the leather, and buff the feed dog down as well. Use a leather point needle. 135X16 TRI #22 would work just fine. Steve

Thanks for the information.navy

The usual solution for sewing thick leather on a walking foot machine is to change the motor to a speed reduced SewPro 500GR servo motor, with a 2" pulley on the end. This will bring the top speed down to around 400 or 500 stitches per minute, maximum. The gear reduction is built in and gives a lot of low speed torque, needed to penetrate hard leather. The motor has variable speed and can be foot controlled to sew one stitch per second or less. The motor is a drop in replacement for the standard clutch motor that normally ships with industrial machines on k-legs tables.

If you don't already have a source for these motors, Bob Kovar sells them at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Steve may also have them, but he will have to chime in about that.

The usual solution for sewing thick leather on a walking foot machine is to change the motor to a speed reduced SewPro 500GR servo motor, with a 2" pulley on the end. This will bring the top speed down to around 400 or 500 stitches per minute, maximum. The gear reduction is built in and gives a lot of low speed torque, needed to penetrate hard leather. The motor has variable speed and can be foot controlled to sew one stitch per second or less. The motor is a drop in replacement for the standard clutch motor that normally ships with industrial machines on k-legs tables.

If you don't already have a source for these motors, Bob Kovar sells them at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Steve may also have them, but he will have to chime in about that.

I also have them, thanks Wizcrafts. If you are closer to Bob, then I think you should give him a call. Steve