Sign in to follow this  
ProCreationz

Backing On Veg Tanned Leather?

I just purchased a decent piece of veg tanned leather from my local Tandy store. It seems to have a backing that I have never seen before. Have any of you had any pieces with a backing that kind of feels like heavy paper? What is it? How should I work with it? Will it finish well?

Thanks!!!

Chris

pics would help

What leather did you purchase? I saw some shoulders at a Tandy couple weeks ago that had a paste applied to the back, may be what you're referring to. I'm sure there is some marketing blahblah to it, but the bottom line is they treated the back of the leather because it was so 'fuzzy'. I didn't buy any.

Thanks for the replies! I'll work on getting a pic up soon. The shoulder has a very smooth backing, no fuzz at all on the entire backside. It is almost like it has been coated with something that has bonded to the leather, providing a nice smooth finish on the backside.

it might just be the way it is skived down to the thickness....I have some HO like that

Weaver sells leather like that called "pasted back". I like it for coasters.

Sounds like it is pasted. Is this one of their economy grade or special purchase single shoulder's? If it is then it is most likely pasted so as to reduce the amount of flesh fuzz when working with it. Shouldn't give you any issues though as it is veg-tanned and the grain side will still do what it is supposed to.

It was the only piece (of many) that had this kind of backing. It is a quite nice piece that will have very little waste. The backing feels consistantly smooth and does not seem to detach or scrape off with a finger nail. I appreciate any feedback! I'll be doing some testing whatever waste I have.

Thanks All!!

post-32493-0-27982200-1356661856_thumb.j

post-32493-0-51536900-1356661909_thumb.j

It was the only piece (of many) that had this kind of backing. It is a quite nice piece that will have very little waste. The backing feels consistantly smooth and does not seem to detach or scrape off with a finger nail. I appreciate any feedback! I'll be doing some testing whatever waste I have.

Thanks All!!

I think it's pasted. I had the same thing on the back of a belt blank

Chris