Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since I was here. Work and a hernia surgury have not helped. And I get to go back for a second one next friday. Ok back to confused and wondering. Has anyone used soy oil on leather to treat it. Now the reason I was asking was that I went to a craft show with my wife and she wants to start making soy candles. We taked to a lady and found out that when it is burning and liquid you can put a little on your hand (with out burning yourself ) and use it for a moisturizer on your skin. Since it is natural and not a chemical like some of the mink oils and it is not bees wax why could you not use it. It is cheaper than mink oil, neetfoot oil (I was told it is the same thing ), and it is cheaper than bees wax why can't it be used. It will not dry the leather out and it will make it water proof. So has anyone tried it or is using it? Looking forward to hearing from everyone. Please let me know even it is to say no. :deadsubject:

You might be on to something.

I never thought of it, but it would be interesting to find out.

Question: What is the difference between soy and beeswax? Just wondering since I use beeswax as part of my mustache wax.

Casey

You might be on to something.

I never thought of it, but it would be interesting to find out.

Question: What is the difference between soy and beeswax? Just wondering since I use beeswax as part of my mustache wax.

Casey

Soy wax is from soybeans. Beeswax is from bees. Soy wax makes vegans happy, because it doesn't exploit the poor widdle bees.

Soy wax is from soybeans. Beeswax is from bees. Soy wax makes vegans happy, because it doesn't exploit the poor widdle bees.

Now you got me craving hot tea and honey and a Hamburger. :rofl:

Casey

Thanks everyone! I guess I will try it. It couldn't hurt. If it does work maybe coming up with some natural dyes to use with it.

I suspect that any vegetable oil could go rancid over time, and stink. Might happen with soy. Just a thought.

Well if its similer to olive oil which is used frequently in the leather craft then I dont see why it wouldnt work. I know there are a few here that use olive oil on a regular basis.

I suspect that any vegetable oil could go rancid over time, and stink. Might happen with soy. Just a thought.

[Well that is one of the question also. If neetsfoot and mink oil are made from animal fat why don't they go rancid? This is natural not an animal by product. :helpsmilie:

Edited by jawilliams

Soy oil if hydraginated. Beeswax isn't. Past that I could not tell you. But I guess I could find out. I have heard that bees wax has a higher melting point but a lower flash point. More research.

I'm not a leather chemist, though I'm sure that one or two of our members will be checking with them on this. That said, one of the things to keep in mind is the content of the 'leather' oils. As we all know, leather is skin- so why doesn't IT go rancid? It's tanned. Leather oils are formulated to replace natural oils that keep the skin supple and resistant to damage. On Tandy mgr recommended Aussie conditioner because it doesn't contain triglycerides- fats. There's a certain amount of residual fatty waxes in leather. Proof of this can be seen when applying vinegaroon, as it pushes those tallows to the surface. The addition of any "food" products could increase the danger of molds. The problem with rubbing food oil into leather is that it allows mold to grow through the core of the leather. Even if you clean the surface and get rid of it all, there might be spores left that will pop up in another spot.

The use of olive oil by some folks...I suppose for a sheen coat, or mixed to make an oil dye might not hurt. I haven't heard of anyone using it as a deep penetrating, or leather conditioning oil (olive oil latigo?), but what the hey, we're all here to teach and learn right?

I'm interested in following this topic and seeing what some chemists have to say. Good topic.

Well if its similer to olive oil which is used frequently in the leather craft then I dont see why it wouldnt work. I know there are a few here that use olive oil on a regular basis.

i went out with olive oil once but popeye put a stop to it!

Thanks everyone, I will post results soon. Had surgury friday for a hernia ( second one in three months) so it will be a little bit till I get back in the shop. Once agiain thanks :You_Rock_Emoticon: