Looks a lot better than my first wallet too! LOL.

The only critique I have is I think a smaller thread would look a bit better. That thread is really filling out the holes.

But this is just personal preference and your stitching looks great!

I thought about smaller stitches too, but considering it's a very simple design overall, there's really not much going on except for the stitching. Hammering down the stitches on the outside surfaces would help a bit with the puffing of the leather coming out of the holes, but unfortunately the thread loses its vibrancy of color if you hammer on it too much. If I had it to do over again, I would either use 0.6 mm thread instead of 0.8, or I would have hammered the pricking iron through a little further to make the holes bigger on the outside surfaces. But it's not too bad for my fourth leather project.

Looks Great. I get the comment on the smaller stitching, here I kind of like them with the big thread. What are you sewing with? Hand or what machine?

I'm doing the stitching by hand, due to my fear of sewing machines. I punched diamond-shaped holes with a Japanese pricking iron and then saddle stitched the layers together.

I don't mind the thickness of thread, but I wonder how it would look with a darker type.

(Only reason I even question anything about it is that I am unspeakably jealous. I've made half a dozen wallets in the last year or so and only recently come close to that level of skill, and even then I wouldn't put mine up against yours!)

I thought about smaller stitches too, but considering it's a very simple design overall, there's really not much going on except for the stitching. Hammering down the stitches on the outside surfaces would help a bit with the puffing of the leather coming out of the holes, but unfortunately the thread loses its vibrancy of color if you hammer on it too much. If I had it to do over again, I would either use 0.6 mm thread instead of 0.8, or I would have hammered the pricking iron through a little further to make the holes bigger on the outside surfaces. But it's not too bad for my fourth leather project.

Like I said it's really personal preference. You did an awesome job for your 4th leather project.

That is a beauty. Very nice work!

I don't mind the thickness of thread, but I wonder how it would look with a darker type.

(Only reason I even question anything about it is that I am unspeakably jealous. I've made half a dozen wallets in the last year or so and only recently come close to that level of skill, and even then I wouldn't put mine up against yours!)

I actually made another one with a dark brown thread so I could actually use it without the stitching getting dirty. It looks nice and would probably be my preference if I could have only one. But for emphasizing the stitch, the lighter thread definitely displays it a bit better.

Like I said it's really personal preference. You did an awesome job for your 4th leather project.

It is, but you definitely had a point. And thanks, it's a fun hobby to pick up. It all started because my dad gave me a .45 single action revolver and I wanted to make a holster and gun belt for it. That was my first project back in late May, which I'll probably post eventually.

I fell in it the hobby (addiction) as well. I made a yardage book for my dad for a local golf course. I then decided I needed to put it in something. After looking at how damn expensive the nice ones were I decided to make my own.

You are into Physics, I can tell the stitching is supperb....you are into music....I can tell the wallet is very creative and still simple to look at....you are a beginner...?? Hell no I can't tell....hahaha....

Well done...

Jimbob

What type of leather is that?

Beautiful work!!! A couple questions...what type of thread are you using? and what brand/size awl blade are you using for your wallet? Thanks :)

The thread is Ritza 25 Tiger Thread, which apparently is kind of hard to find in this country in full spools, though I have seen it sold. I bought mine in a 50 yard length from this Etsy seller in 0.8 mm thick, colonial tan in color: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/211325167

To make the holes, I used this set of Japanese diamond pricking irons purchased from here: http://www.leathercrafttools.com/shouhin.jsp?id=8387

It's actually a great deal, since you get 5 tools of various prong number for about $30, as opposed to some other websites that sell you one of these tools for $30 which is indistinguishable from those above, as I found out the hard way...

What type of leather is that?

The leather is 2-3oz Hermann Oak tooling leather that I bought from Springfield Leather off of Amazon. They sell it in sheets for a decent price. I then stained it with some dark brown stain I got from Tandy's.

You are into Physics, I can tell the stitching is supperb....you are into music....I can tell the wallet is very creative and still simple to look at....you are a beginner...?? Hell no I can't tell....hahaha....

Well done...

Jimbob

Haha well thanks. I'm actually getting my Ph.D. in physics, so leatherwork is a nice distraction from that stuff. Before this, I made a gun belt and holster, and two knife sheaths, so I had a bit of warm up going into it.

What mm tools did you use from that site?

What mm tools did you use from that site?

The ones that the link I posted takes you to, the 3mm pitch. I believe that makes around 8.5 stitches per inch.

Thank you!

Very nice! I too got Ian's wallet designs and they have helped tremendously.