rdb

Leather History News

Well, in these trying times, at least some people consider the history of leather to be a worthwhile investment.

The City of Peabody Ma., a significant landmark to the Leather industry, has an old Betamax about Tanneries and the Shoe business, narrated by Studs Terkel, himself. They are willing to shell out to have it restored and saved.

Hopefully in the future, maybe we'll be able to buy the DVD.

http://www.salemnews.com/punews/local_story_029001348.html

Edited by rdb

I grew up in Lynn,

When I first browsed the article I thought " I don't remember a leather museum", but when I looked back I saw that it hasen't opened yet.

I'll have to make a trip down when it opens.

There was a tannery at the end of my street when I was growing up, called Carr Leather, It used to smell horrible. Stunk up the whole neighborhood. Just thought I'd share.

Thanks for the info rdb.

John

I can't wait for it to open, either JohnD! Next time I'm up North, it'll be one of my first stops.

When I grew up, there seemed to be a tannery on every corner. As they got old, they deteriorated, and the smells and runoffs, horrible. But they were the lifeblood of the communities. Everyone knew someone who worked in the business, and a lot of people had bread on the table because of them.

There's no reasons, even environmental, that they can't rebuild the industry in this country. New tanneries are opening all over the world, with all the environmental bells and whistles. Why can't we get back to doing what we do best, MAKING things!!!?

PS..it still cracks me up that you carry that sig line... :specool:

The one I mentioned was still operating and would, at certain times of the day, release some vent, that would stink out the whole neighborhood.

I agree, making things is what our founding fathers intended for us to do. The lack of is why we're in the mess we're in.

I keep it because I need to be reminded alot. Truly, words of wisdom. Hope you don't mind?

John

Good for Peabody! Way too much history is lost because our "leaders" don't want to spend the money or they don't see the relevence of a particular subject to future generations. But, I thought Betamax had come and gone before we had any tanneries in this country. Maybe I just have some of my history wrong! ( :lol: )