Sign in to follow this  
JJLeatherworks

Level 2 Retention Question

Anybody know where I could get level 2 retention trigger guard clamps? :dunno:

If I had to guess, I'd say any kind of mechanical retention device use by a company was developed by them and is proprietary.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a single retention was it being in a holster(level 1) and anything that helps hold the firearm other than that was a level 2? So on and so forrth.

I could be wrong but it seems like Safariland started the level 1 2 3 ect thing to describe their product line and it just caught

on , I have never seen a set standard and different people / companies call different things level one , for awhile just a thumb

break was level 1 then with newer models it changed to mean friction ( adjustable tension screw ) .

I think you are looking for an internal locking device , correct ? I dont know of any of the companies that sell them and if you make one be careful about patents

Retention levels are a hard thing to understand because there is no governing body setting standards and even testing for level of retention among makers is not standardized. Basically my interpretation ( and others will have their own) is level I retention is just a holster if some one attempts to withdraw your fire arm by exerting force in any direction but after 5 seconds the gun is still in the holster and the holster is still attached to the user then the holster meets level I. If there is a means of retention added such as a thumb break that creates an additional obstacle to overcome then it is considered level II. If you have a holster that by itself is a level one then a thumb break or other obstacle has brought it up to a level two retention then adding a locking mechanism such as a trigger guard lock requiring a lever or detent release, depress release system such as on Safari Land holsters etc, then it is considered level III

. Many agencies have come up with their own requirements, some agency require a thumb break as a level one retention device, some say a tension adjusting screw is a retention device. I don't think there is a clearer then MUD interpretation. I have the person I am building the holster for get the requirements for the agency they are affiliated with then build the holster accordingly. As to where to get a trigger guard clamp, as one of the other posters said and it has been my experience that there is no one mass producing locking retention devices for general sale. Most of the major holster manufactures that build retention system holsters design the holster then have what they need manufactures accordingly and you can bet each manufactures devices have patents.

Safari Land did not invent retention levels but they were the first ones to publish their test standards and to compare levels. You can go to their site and find their test standards for retention level.

Edited by camano ridge

If Hb 700 open carry passes here in Texas It will require level 2 retention on openly worn holsters. No buckets, Level 1 is top strap only, level 2 top strap and trigger guard lock, or two separate straps. Level 3 is two separate straps and trigger guard lock, or a big pain in the *** holster. I know the prisoners in Huntsville leather shop build level 2 for law enforcement here so I don't think Junglejunk has a monopoly on trigger locks. I'll look into local plastic shop if they can mold them.

Retention levels are a hard thing to understand because there is no governing body setting standards and even testing for level of retention among makers is not standardized. Basically my interpretation ( and others will have their own) is level I retention is just a holster if some one attempts to withdraw your fire arm by exerting force in any direction but after 5 seconds the gun is still in the holster and the holster is still attached to the user then the holster meets level I. If there is a means of retention added such as a thumb break that creates an additional obstacle to overcome then it is considered level II. If you have a holster that by itself is a level one then a thumb break or other obstacle has brought it up to a level two retention then adding a locking mechanism such as a trigger guard lock requiring a lever or detent release, depress release system such as on Safari Land holsters etc, then it is considered level III

. Many agencies have come up with their own requirements, some agency require a thumb break as a level one retention device, some say a tension adjusting screw is a retention device. I don't think there is a clearer then MUD interpretation. I have the person I am building the holster for get the requirements for the agency they are affiliated with then build the holster accordingly. As to where to get a trigger guard clamp, as one of the other posters said and it has been my experience that there is no one mass producing locking retention devices for general sale. Most of the major holster manufactures that build retention system holsters design the holster then have what they need manufactures accordingly and you can bet each manufactures devices have patents.

Safari Land did not invent retention levels but they were the first ones to publish their test standards and to compare levels. You can go to their site and find their test standards for retention level.

Kind of what I said or what I thought I said .....LOL

wolfe, it is more or less what y0ou said. I was working on it and had to leave the computer when I came back you had already posted, after all that typing I decided I was going to post anyway. It is in support of wha tyou said I just used more words to say it. :cowboy:

No problem , sometimes whats in my head doesn't make it to the screen ....LOL