Boriqua

Single Side Adhesive

Im sure its somewhere on the forums but I cant find it. I have a piece of frog skin I want to apply to the front of a mag holder. I dont want to inlay it just paste it right on to a piece of dyed leather. I use contact cement for all my leather work but what appealed to me about this piece of frog was the organic shape from where it was cut off the frog and dont want to mess with it. It needs to stay put though when I put it down ... Spray 77 or?

Here is what I want to do

Thank you in advance !!

Alex

frog.JPG

I'm not sure I quite understand why you can't use contact cement on the back of it. But, I have some 77 that I use occasionally, but I really don't like the hold on it. I pretty much just use it for wallet liners. I don't think I'd trust it for a larger piece that may be subject to force.

I'm not sure I quite understand why you can't use contact cement on the back of it. But, I have some 77 that I use occasionally, but I really don't like the hold on it. I pretty much just use it for wallet liners. I don't think I'd trust it for a larger piece that may be subject to force.

Im afraid to use contact cement because I cant figure out how I would be able to trace out the shape of the frog onto the leather and get the glue on the leather without going over the traced line. The frog has lots of little cragels at the edges. I was hoping to just be able to apply some type of adhesive to just the Frog and apply it to the leather

Edited by Boriqua

I know what you mean, its not that the contact cement won't hold its that its a ragged shape and to get the cement on the mag pouch in the same exact shape and then even if you do trace it right you have to be very careful to get it back on in the same space.

I wouldn't recommend 77 as its not a very strong bond really. To get a good bond with most of the 3m spray adhesives they require both sides as well. I would try something like tanners bond, if I remember correctly you can put it on one side and clamp it until it dries. If it were me Id just chance getting it right with the contact cement. I'd maybe do half at a time, put clamps on one side and carefully trace it just under the edge of the skin so you don't glue all the way out to the edge. Apply the cement, let dry and put the first half down very carefully, then do the next half.

I'd rough up most of the leather but stop short of the edge just a little. This way if you lay it down and its slightly off you can use a gum eraser and remove the contact cement that's showing. Just make sure its dyed first or it'll resist the dye a little even if you get it off.

I have had good luck with a wet coat of contact on one side, clamp it togeather and it will hold once it is dry.

Super 99 is WAY better than 77, but I still would not trust it for this.

Aaron