Sign in to follow this  
Crystal

Centering designs on items that fold

Hi All!

On items like checkbook covers and other things that have a fold, what is the best way to make sure your design is centered? The fold has no real "border" and the opposite side will have a stitch line and an edge. Visually is it better to center from the stitch line or from the actual edge of the project? This would be for a design that is not carried to the backside of the project.

Thanks!

Crystal

Crystal. Here's hoping I understand the question right. I was kind of given this rule of thumb - Try to get as close as you can to the fold, but the cut or bevel line should be either supported by a stiff backing (like on a binder) or far enough away it will not be any part of the fold on a checkbook or wallet. There is more tolerance for lines that are beveled and not cut, but any folding tension on these is across that line, a weak spot, and can separate with use. I usually gouge my folds on the flesh side and allow for my tooling borders to be within the full thickness of the leather. Back when, I was taught that patterns never crossed a fold that would be worked. They would tear out, pop open, etc. Some of the pattern packs have pretty well tossed this out, so I guess take my advice with a grain of salt. As far as the visual, I get my top or side in the right place for the fold, and then establish my borders off the stitch line. Visually I like my stitch line to be centered between the edge of the piece and the border. I have seen big borders to account for the extra space needed at the fold and then carried that same margin all the way around. They looked a bit odd to me stitched but lacing filled that gap in and looked alright.

Thanks, Bruce!

You actually gave me some good points to think about. I was going to try to go without a border, but I think adding one will solve my spacing isses. Back to the pencil.

Thanks again!

Crystal

Crystal,

You could also draw the border on the pattern just to help with the positioning, but not trace it onto the leather.

Crystal I know what you are talking about and my solution has been to use my computer. I will create the pattern in Illustrator and include the border, centerlines and so forth.

Then take it into Photoshop and select the area inside the borderline and erase it. I will create a blank new layer beneath the pattern. The erased area is like a window and under the window I place the pattern I want to use. Size it and or move it until evrything looks right and then print it out. Then I will trace it down on the film and after to the leather.

Sometimes I will scan in an original design or an old Stohlman floral. I have grown accustomed to being able to combine patterns and or duplicate and rotate. I used to have access to a good printer which I could directly print to matter film but now I have to trace to the film by hand.