Crystal

Flask for the Hubby

Hi All -

The hubby wanted a flask he had covered. I finally got around to it.

I have got to learn how to take better pictures!

Flask11.jpg Flask12b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Crystal

post-6163-1228964649_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1228964687_thumb.jpg

That is freakin awesome. I love that pattern, yours ?? You've done a great job on that !!!

AMAZING !!!!

That is freakin awesome. I love that pattern, yours ?? You've done a great job on that !!!

AMAZING !!!!

Thanks, Freak! The pattern was from a book, I just modified it to fit and tool.

Crystal

I agree that is Awesome!! What book did you get the pattern from, I love it!!

Great Job!!!

Thanks, Brad! The book is "Florid Victorian Ornament" I found it on Amazon.

Crystal

BLIKSEM!!! That is nice work!!!

JOhan

Hi All -

The hubby wanted a flask he had covered. I finally got around to it.

I have got to learn how to take better pictures!

Thanks for looking!

Crystal

Crystal,

When you showed me the pattern you were planning on using to cover this flask and I thought, "good luck lady!". It didn't look like anything I'd want to tackle, but you really did a great job on it!!!! The color really works too. From now on, I will have no doubt about your ability to carve any patten you pick (as long as it doesn't have hair on it, but we're gonna have to work on that too)

Can't wait to see what you come up with for your next project.

BLIKSEM!!! That is nice work!!!

JOhan

Thank you, JOhan. I had to look up "Bliksem". :)

Crystal

Crystal,

When you showed me the pattern you were planning on using to cover this flask and I thought, "good luck lady!". It didn't look like anything I'd want to tackle, but you really did a great job on it!!!! The color really works too. From now on, I will have no doubt about your ability to carve any patten you pick (as long as it doesn't have hair on it, but we're gonna have to work on that too)

Can't wait to see what you come up with for your next project.

Thanks, Clay! You didn't tell me you were wishing me good luck - that's what made all the difference. :lol:

As usual my pics don't show the true color very well - it is a bit more "rusty" colored in real life. Jeff doesn't like a bunch of color, he wanted it plain, but I wanted to try out that Bee Natural Pecan. I won. :)

Crystal

thats a sweet design crystal, ya done good!!...but i gotta agree with clay...not sure i'd tackle that too quick either...it would make my eyes go >>>> :wacko:

darryl :cheers:

Very nice, Crystal!

Kate

Thank you, Kate!

thats a sweet design crystal, ya done good!!...but i gotta agree with clay...not sure i'd tackle that too quick either...it would make my eyes go >>>> :wacko:

darryl :cheers:

Thanks, Darryl! Yeah - was fun trying to follow the under/overs on the tracing! lol Kudos to those who do celtic knots - this might be my only one. I need better glasses.

Crystal

Crystal,

Another FINE example of your talents of carving small intricate designs!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Johnny

Crystal,

Another FINE example of your talents of carving small intricate designs!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Johnny

Thank you! What's next from that book? lol

Crystal

Awesome Crystal,

and I bet that pattern did get you something to do for a while:-)

Beautiful, stunning and intricate. Darryl

Really cool.

It looks so good, if I owned it, it drive me to drink!

Wonder if anyone would know I was walking around with a flask full of Mountain Dew?

Allen

That is a truly outstanding piece of work. Congratulations Crystal!

Chrystal, Very awesome layout and carving, (I get tired just thinking about it LOL) but what got my attention is the fit. I have made a lot of these and one challenge I face is getting the ends to butt up perfectly and the design to carry from one side to the other seamlessly. Obviously this isn't a problem for you.

Questions if you don't mind sharing: Do you glue as well as lace? And for fine carving like this, what blade are you using?

Since you haven't rec'd much feedback on this :rolleyes: let me say, Wow! REALLY nice. The crispness of your carving is a level to be attained. Yep, absolutely, please share more of your stuff. If your hubby doesn't appreciate this . . . dump him !!

Harvey

Thank you, All! I think I might have to try another now after getting so many nice comments! :) Just not sure it will be anything with celtic knots...

The hardest part was the tracing. The knife work went really quick, tooling took a while just because my tools were too big to fit in the small spaces.

Dually- This is my first flask, so I just kind of winged it. I left a little extra room on all of the outside edges, so I had some fudge space. I kept doing fittings and all went well until it dried, then I noticed some shrink. I dyed and then sewed while the leather was damp, that seemed to hold it pretty good. I didn't glue, just used some double stick tape on the seam line, then put on the finish coat. It fits really snug. I used an SK3 knife from Leather Wranglers with an 1/8" straight blade.

Harvey- I guess I have to keep the hubby - this is the first thing I've done that he's actually liked. I don't know if it is because he likes it or if is because it is his. :rofl:

Thanks again, Everyone!

Crystal

Crystal...what a great job! Now I can really see what you where struggling with on the small tools we were talking about. But you nailed it! Definitely do some more of this stuff, it's great!

Bob