tonyc1

Highlead Sewing Machines

While looking thru the catalogue one of my suppliers (Lefflers) I notice that they have Highlead cylinder arm Saddler Special machines and Excel flat bed machines. There are no prices but the traveller is coming on sunday so I'll ask him when he arrives. So, is anyone familiar with either of these?

Tony.

Here's a couple of sites where you can get more info on the Highlead machines. Don't have any knowledge of this brand other than it looks like a knockoff of other brands I have seen advertised. I have a Consew portable machine that's sold under 6 or more names, seems to be pretty common with sewing machines.

http://westchestersewing.com/highlead/

http://www.highlead.co.uk/

John

Hi Tony,

Highlead is actually Shanghai Huigong No.3 Sewing Machine Factory. What happened to No.1 and No. 2 I haven't a clue. Their website is:

http://www.highlead.com.cn

Click on Engrish for translation.

I have had these machines for 5 years with not a problem. Two of them are Artisan branded. One is Highlead branded. Artisan distributes here in the US as does Westchester and Atlantic. On the bigger machines like the Artisan 4000, Artisan puts their own feet and needle plate on the machines to make them more leather friendly. With Highlead, you might have to do that yourself although Westchester and Atlantic are competent and can do what you need. Artisan puts nice things like a speed reducer and servo motor on their machines, so make sure you compare apples to apples, those extra parts cost dollars. I don't know any dealers in Taz so get the specific model numbers and I'll try to get you a price just to make sure they are fair.

I've seen the term "cheap Chinese crap" thrown around a bit, and believe me these machines are very good. I know Huigong is a ISO 9001 factory and they make machines for Mitsubishi among others. I've run these machines at the firewall (high range, cranked all the way up)for 16 hours at a time running Kevlar thread and stitching a 10 layer sandwich of Nomex, Kevlar, and turnout canvas without a whimper, then binding the edges, so that's 12 layers. I was honestly a little worried about the motor, but it didn't get anything past warm. I figured I was abusing the machine, but it paid for itself in one job, so I didn't care. Not to worry, it held up perfectly and after 5 years it is still tight as the day I got it. Keep it oiled if you are going to use it like that.

The Highlead machines are good solid machines, they are sold to the industrial market where they would not last long selling crap.

They're kinda like Harleys, if there isn't a little oil on the ground, then maybe you should oil some more. The smaller machines like the 618 are a little better that way, some have auto oilers on the hooks and semi-auto or wick systems elsewhere.

Good Machines.

Art

While looking thru the catalogue one of my suppliers (Lefflers) I notice that they have Highlead cylinder arm Saddler Special machines and Excel flat bed machines. There are no prices but the traveller is coming on sunday so I'll ask him when he arrives. So, is anyone familiar with either of these?

Tony.

Art What is the speed reducer your refering to. I just got the highlead and I love it but my 1/2 HP motor is a little fast for me.

Hi Tony,

Highlead is actually Shanghai Huigong No.3 Sewing Machine Factory. What happened to No.1 and No. 2 I haven't a clue. Their website is:

http://www.highlead.com.cn

Click on Engrish for translation.

I have had these machines for 5 years with not a problem. Two of them are Artisan branded. One is Highlead branded. Artisan distributes here in the US as does Westchester and Atlantic. On the bigger machines like the Artisan 4000, Artisan puts their own feet and needle plate on the machines to make them more leather friendly. With Highlead, you might have to do that yourself although Westchester and Atlantic are competent and can do what you need. Artisan puts nice things like a speed reducer and servo motor on their machines, so make sure you compare apples to apples, those extra parts cost dollars. I don't know any dealers in Taz so get the specific model numbers and I'll try to get you a price just to make sure they are fair.

I've seen the term "cheap Chinese crap" thrown around a bit, and believe me these machines are very good. I know Huigong is a ISO 9001 factory and they make machines for Mitsubishi among others. I've run these machines at the firewall (high range, cranked all the way up)for 16 hours at a time running Kevlar thread and stitching a 10 layer sandwich of Nomex, Kevlar, and turnout canvas without a whimper, then binding the edges, so that's 12 layers. I was honestly a little worried about the motor, but it didn't get anything past warm. I figured I was abusing the machine, but it paid for itself in one job, so I didn't care. Not to worry, it held up perfectly and after 5 years it is still tight as the day I got it. Keep it oiled if you are going to use it like that.

The Highlead machines are good solid machines, they are sold to the industrial market where they would not last long selling crap.

They're kinda like Harleys, if there isn't a little oil on the ground, then maybe you should oil some more. The smaller machines like the 618 are a little better that way, some have auto oilers on the hooks and semi-auto or wick systems elsewhere.

Good Machines.

Art

I PMed you with the info.

Art

Art What is the speed reducer your refering to. I just got the highlead and I love it but my 1/2 HP motor is a little fast for me.

This is a reply to Tony C in Australia.

Try phoning up our agent in Sydney. Mr. Warren Ball at 612 977 44115 or 610 4077 08415.

His company inventories Highlead brand and Artisan brand products.

He is also traveling to Melborne for a small saddlers show later this week.

Give him a call. He is knowledgeable and can help you.

Jerry at Artisan 888 838 1408 www.artisansew.com