Sign in to follow this  
rmr

Bison Leather Developing A Whitish Material On It?

Have a question about some Bison leather I have been using to make gun cases and shell bags. Once completed I apply 1 coat of neets foot oil and then several days later 1 coat of Montana pitch blend ( beeswax, pine tar pitch and mink oil). Both oils penetrate very well and absorb into the bison. I have a guy I have made a case for and after a while ( months ) the bison will develope a whitish material on it( attached photo). I have looked at the hide I took it from and there is no whitish color to it. I have asked if the case ever got wet to see if this is mold- havnt heard back but I suspect the case has not gotten wet ( the bison was on the inside of the lid of the case and the rest of the outside of the case-made from latigo- was treated the same way and has no whitish material on it). This occured last fall and I had him allpy some oil( I think he used neets foot oil - but trying to find out- and said it disappeared immediately, but now its back 4-5 months later. I also wondered if the case has been kept in a cold place which would cause wax to get thick and crystalize- be lives in up state NY

I suspect its cystalization of either the bees wax or the pine tar pitch. Any one ever seen this??? Why only on the Bison and not on the Latigo leather ??? Is there any solution for this???

Im going to post this in several places hoping someone has an answer for me

Thanks for any insight

RMRpost-11790-017274800 1330265029_thumb.jp

It looks like waxy surface spew to me. Have him hit it with a little heat from a hair dryer or fan heat gun and see if it melts in. Waxes melt and molds don't.

I've seen something like this on some horsehide holsters O made. Did not occur with the unused horsehide, only with a couple of the holsters that had been waxed. I believe it was the wax precipitating on the surface of te leather, but I don't know why it happened.

tk