wildrose

Teaching wet-forming

I teach a leathercraft class to youth and adults at our church. Here is my first real attempt at wet forming. The rest of the ones we did in class also came out really well, and the students loved learning this. I particularly enjoyed the look on a mom's face when she realized how simple it was...she now told me she wants to make a whole bouquet!

I found this class went much better than the same project in 4H - the key was to not let the leather get too wet. Also, we stained the pieces before assembly. It did mean we had to re-form them a little, but overall it went well. The one other thing I learned was to trace the pattern pieces on the rough side of the leather, so ink doesn't show on the tips of the pieces...

One boy made his for a girl in his school, who'd been unable to come this week - she loved it, and the rest of the class was jealous! They all wanted roses of their own.

The pattern came from a Tandy sheet. My thanks to Art S for letting me print pics of his roses to show the class - it really helped!

100_2491.jpg100_2493.jpg

post-5639-1201230563_thumb.jpg

post-5639-1201230570_thumb.jpg

those look like they smell good,,cool bean,,er,,flowers

Well....my 3 yr old tried to take a good sniff of it not long after it was dyed...and his comment was "YUCK!"

Very nice!

I have taught this class in my store, and it's always a BIG hit!!! I have also added green sueded lacing to a longer stem and woven in a few more leather leaves to create a cool Long stem version, with Valentines coming up, I too have a few of these in progress!!!

let me ask you guys/galls a question,,

do you add scented oils that they add to candle wax,,

would that destroy the art,,

The pattern came from a Tandy sheet.

I cannot find this rose pattern on Tandys site under the patterns/tips, so could you upload a pattern? I would like to make this for my wife for Valentines....

I don't know if adding a scent would wreck it or not...probably could spray it with a scent?

I'm not sure if it'd be legal to upload the pattern page here, but am willing to email it to anyone who wants it, along with how I made mine.

Thank you WildRose!

Yeah, I forgot about the hubub... I was thinking that because it was free... no biggie.... but I forgot about the mess a while back with the "free" stuff...

I don't know if adding a scent would wreck it or not...probably could spray it with a scent?

I'm not sure if it'd be legal to upload the pattern page here, but am willing to email it to anyone who wants it, along with how I made mine.

I would like a pattern page. Was very impressed with the one you posted.

Thank you

Jack L. Price

jacklprice@verizon.net

anyone here ever used Tandy Block Out to do your roses??

It gives them a pretty nice scent and makes em look GREAT!

Just found this thread. I wanted to comment about the scent question. If you use the soap scent, it is a lighter oil and won't discolor the leather. I have attached a cruddy picture of a bouquet I made that had the scent added.

I prefer to use roo for my flowers. I think it gives it a more realistic look.

IMAGE_033.jpg

post-50-1202937192_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Major

To all who wrote me for the pattern: I found the instruction side of the sheet (I'd only had the pattern side before). If you want it, pm or email me. Don't just post it here as a reply, because I might not see it for a while...

Holly

Just found this thread. I wanted to comment about the scent question. If you use the soap scent, it is a lighter oil and won't discolor the leather. I have attached a cruddy picture of a bouquet I made that had the scent added.

I think something is broke. No matter what I do, I can not smell them...

smart a!# LOL!

Great looking roses, never tried something like that, could you please send me the info as well so I can go try?

Will send you a pm with email adress.

Johanna,

Thanks for the description. I've never actually used warm water for molding. Is that degrees celsius or farhenheit in the description? (I'm asuming fahrenheit, but just checking).

Harma

I've just moved from PA to VA and am in the midst of unpacking...all those who wrote me for the pattern please have patience as we get our computer up and running...this is just the hubby's laptop... :head_hurts_kr: