Sign in to follow this  
Eaglestroker

Basket Weaved Belt Rig

Critiques and comments welcome as always, this is my second glued and stitched gun belt and was for a very good friend. Think it took me a little over two hours to stamp that belt!

post-19170-095196600 1326406809_thumb.jp

post-19170-066868900 1326406814_thumb.jp

post-19170-040462800 1326406818_thumb.jp

post-19170-063172500 1326406823_thumb.jp

post-19170-087677800 1326406828_thumb.jp

Only thing I noticed, basket weave on your holster should fade into the edge. You stopped them abruptly before actually getting to the edge.

You done a great job with the BW, they are interesting and equally frustrating sometimes. cowboy.gif

The belt is excellent.

ferg

Critiques and comments welcome as always, this is my second glued and stitched gun belt and was for a very good friend. Think it took me a little over two hours to stamp that belt!

Edited by 50 years leather

Hey Ferg, thanks for the compliments. I've struggled a bit on fading the weave without trashing the border of the stamping.

My 1 year leather working anniversary was last weekend, maybe by this time next year those issues will be long gone.

-Robert

Awesome. i really like the "old school" look. especially the dump pouch.

I can cut, . . . glue, . . . sew, . . . mold, . . . dye, . . . finish, . . . burnish, . . . and don't feel at all undergunned doing those tasks.

Basketweave stamping, . . . it just don't happen.

But I surely do enjoy seeing someone having mastered it and liking to do it. I just flat do not have the patience, . . .

Good job, Eaglestroker.

May God bless,

Dwight

Critiques and comments welcome

I was going to bite my tongue, but you asked. Your basket weave is at the wrong angle on the holster. You did it correct on the belt and that looks good.

Aaron

Sweet! I love the look. Congrats on the patience to do that.

A nice classic look for that wheel-gun... I like it.

Nick

Thanks Nick, you always have something complimentary to say.

Awesome. i really like the "old school" look. especially the dump pouch.

Thank you! The dump pouch turned out well.

I can cut, . . . glue, . . . sew, . . . mold, . . . dye, . . . finish, . . . burnish, . . . and don't feel at all undergunned doing those tasks.

Basketweave stamping, . . . it just don't happen.

But I surely do enjoy seeing someone having mastered it and liking to do it. I just flat do not have the patience, . . .

Good job, Eaglestroker.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, I find it relaxing and methodical. My arm disagrees sometimes but prefers it to running a 64" belt through the Boss.

I was going to bite my tongue, but you asked. Your basket weave is at the wrong angle on the holster. You did it correct on the belt and that looks good.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. I have never paid much attention to angle, I go with what my eye likes. What bugged me was the fact that the two angles didn't match.

Sweet! I love the look. Congrats on the patience to do that.

That you Matt.

Here is a an example of both straight and crooked basket weave. Credit where due, it is Chan Geers work. The colored in line shows the angle the pattern lays in corectly at. The one row shows crooked. The is a very common mistake in basketweave layout.

Aaron

post-2349-025285200 1326435178_thumb.jpg

Edited by electrathon

The only critique I will offer is that you need to continue the edging all the way around the toe of the holster. It looks a bit 'off' to have everything else with a nice edge and then have that sharp corner at the toe.

From the grump; You done good! I'm very traditional in my ideas of how leather stuff should look and be done, and this really the type of stuff I enjoy seeing. Mike

Here is a an example of both straight and crooked basket weave. Credit where due, it is Chan Geers work. The colored in line shows the angle the pattern lays in corectly at. The one row shows crooked. The is a very common mistake in basketweave layout.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. I can see where laying the stamp further apart caused me to curve. The belt didn't have enough room for error!

The only critique I will offer is that you need to continue the edging all the way around the toe of the holster. It looks a bit 'off' to have everything else with a nice edge and then have that sharp corner at the toe.

Usually this style turns out nice and rounded at the toe. I wasn't happy with it after final sanding but that's what it took to even the edge.

From the grump; You done good! I'm very traditional in my ideas of how leather stuff should look and be done, and this really the type of stuff I enjoy seeing. Mike

Thanks Mike, take that as a real compliment.

Edited by Eaglestroker

I usually like the stuff that you build. This one though....

is no different. :) Nice work!

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Thanks Shooter, nice dramatic entrance as well :)

I wasn't referring to the shape of the holster's toe, but to the corner of the leather. After sanding the shape, you can go back with an edger and lightly break the sharp corner left by sanding....or just round it over as you slick/burnish the edge. Either way gives a more finished look. I prefer to go ahead and use the edger to remove the corner, then slick and burnish it. That way there's no question about the fibers of the corner ever standing up and getting fuzzy.

Hey Mike, I use a #2 or #4 bisonette depending on the width of the project before burnishing. Maybe I put to much pressure on the edge?

Great work, Eagle. What method did you use to finish it? I'm working on a stamped belt now and will be ready for the finish tomorrow. So far I have only put a coat of Neatsfoot oil on it.

I'm planning on a trip to Tandy tomorrow to buy a few items. It's 50 miles away, but I will already be over halfway there for something else, so I figured I would go the distance.

Edited by steelhawk

After the oil I just used 1:1 Resolene to water. A few light coats rubbed in with a sponge brush same as all my leather projects. I like the sheen.

Thanks. I was planning on using Resolene. I used to hate Resolene because I ruined everything I used it on. Then I read about diluting it 1:1 with water and applying with a wet sponge. Now I love the stuff and use it on all my holsters.

Aaron

Who made you the judge of what angle basket weaving is to be done??? What if it's done horizontally or vertically? It's up to who is doing it! Where does it say what angle it has to be?

Who made you the judge of what angle basket weaving is to be done??? What if it's done horizontally or vertically? It's up to who is doing it! Where does it say what angle it has to be?

Interesting retaliatory statement. If you search my early posts, I made a lot of mistakes too. I am indebted to those who pointed them out.

To answer your questions:

Who made you the judge of what angle basket weaving is to be done???

No one. If you meant to say, Who taught you". My answer would be, Jim Linnell and Chan Geer.

What if it's done horizontally or vertically?

Baskets are woven with the spokes going primarily up and the reeds going primarily sideways. So if you are inferring that the spokes should go sideways and the reeds should go up, I can not address that. Basket weaving has been around far longer than I have, and there seems to be a very consistent pattern to it. I simply accept the fact that there is a common way to do it.

It's up to who is doing it!

Not a question, but Yes! It is always up to the person doing things. A framer can put the studs in the wall of your house straight up or to the side. It would defiantly be up to him. Many would feel that he did it "wrong" if they were leaning to the side. He could then say, "it is up to who is doing it!".

Where does it say what angle it has to be?

If you look through the Leather Crafters Journal Chan has written a few articles explaining basket weaving.

Don't see how you can compare Basket weaving to building a house! One is decoration the other is building something!

Don't see how you can compare Basket weaving to building a house! One is decoration the other is building something!

Baskets are woven with reeds and spokes, in a similar manor to how a structure is framed. Baskets are not decoration, they are items built for a use. Basket weaving in leathercraft is an emulation of baskets that are woven in real life.

I am done here. I apologize to steelhawk for this being in your thread. Lonerider, I removed my critique from your thread, no need to posture.

It may be the result of too much pressure....maybe it's just the photo. :dunno:

Lonerider - your posts in this thread seem like nothing more than TROLLING. In the first post, the OP says comments and critiques are welcome. Well....there's been some. If you have differing critiques, please include them. If you have a dispute with another member, please handle that through PMs or the 'Report' button, but please don't hijack a thread to pick a fight.