UncleGeorge

Texas Custom Dies presses

Has anyone had any experience or have any info on the two presses that Texas Custom Dies make.

From their website they have a manually operated 12 ton shop press clicker and an air run 12 ton shop press clicker that they make in house.

Thinkin' on getting some dies from them but don't have a press yet.

Has anyone had any experience or have any info on the two presses that Texas Custom Dies make.

From their website they have a manually operated 12 ton shop press clicker and an air run 12 ton shop press clicker that they make in house.

Thinkin' on getting some dies from them but don't have a press yet.

UncleGeorge, I know nothing about their presses, but I do know that they are great people, reasonable, and make quality dies. Thanks, Steve

I have seen pictures of theirs and like it. I use a 20 ton shop press similar to their mannual one (both are red). They have the top plate fastened to the crossbeam that the jack sits on. That would be an advantage. With mine I put a piece of scrap cold roll steel big enough to cover the die and the ram presses on that. It is one more step to put the scrap on the die and center it under the ram. Their price is sure fair enough. What I would spend in time and money to make a fixed top plate, The TCD one is less expensive. The $1000-2000 plus difference between a press and a clicker buys more dies.

Contrary to first impressions , these shop press setups really are pretty alright unless you are in serious production. About 3-4 cranks on the handle will go through most heavy leather, let off the jack pressure enough to slide out the die and cut piece and slide another in. The only distance you really have to allow for is the thickness of the leather and the allowance to get under the top plate or ram. You don't have to let the jack go all the way up and start over each time. No adjusting for different die heights.

Thanks guys for the info. I talked with those folks and they didn't have any in stock. Said it would be a coupla weeks and that was iffy soundin'. Don't have the right equipment to make one nor the time to do any experimentin'. Fortunately sales have been good and I needed one right away so I got the Tippmann 700 Clicker with the stand, wheels and 3 dies. Was pricey but they were quick on the draw and super helpful. I have their Boss stitcher and it has performed well. Nice folks and very quick to respond to problems and requests.

Am currently in the process of getting some dies from Joyce Engraving in Dallas to do some embossing or is it debossing........anyway, make impressions into the leather. New to this process, looks to be a time saver. Hopefully it will prove to be so. thanks again, Uncle George