Wink

Fabric To Leather - Adhesive?

Hiya folks!

I apologize because I know I saw a thread like this a long time ago and I'll be darned if I can find it again.

Anyway, I'm making a biker wallet from a Tandy kit (my first real project) and I've done the dying and carving and I'm ready to stitch it together. I just realized that a fabric lining would go nice and I remembered a discussion about whether you could us an adhesive to get in on there. I understand that sewing it in would be better but I don't believe I have the skill or the patience to try that yet.

So would contact cement work or should I not bother and leave it au naturale?

\

Thanks,

Wink

Hiya folks!

I apologize because I know I saw a thread like this a long time ago and I'll be darned if I can find it again.

Anyway, I'm making a biker wallet from a Tandy kit (my first real project) and I've done the dying and carving and I'm ready to stitch it together. I just realized that a fabric lining would go nice and I remembered a discussion about whether you could us an adhesive to get in on there. I understand that sewing it in would be better but I don't believe I have the skill or the patience to try that yet.

So would contact cement work or should I not bother and leave it au naturale?

Try searching for fabric leather cement. One of the results will be this one http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=42898&hl=+fabric%20+leather%20+cement#entry266945. See #3.

Tom

I forgot to use search function!, Thanks, it's been awhile since I been here and I panicked!

- Oh, and thank you!

Edited by Wink

Go to a auto parts store and ask for headliner glue it works fine or allways has for me. their several brands 3M is the best i think.

The only thing I've found to watch out for is the thickness of the fabric. If it's a lightweight linen, it's easy to get too much adhesive on that will seep through the lining. Also, with the 3M spray adhesives (at least the ones I've used) it's really important to follow the curing time if you want it to work at all. My suggestion for a wallet is to put the lining on with adhesive all the way past the stitching holes and just stitch through it after it's all cured.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I went and bought a can of the 3M - 77 and will do a test run or two tonight. @Cyberthrasher - yeah, I thought stitching the fabric might be best but wasn't sure - thanks for the reassurance!

Thanks all, this helps me too. I was planning on bonding a fabric layer to a leather one and was just going to use my Weldwood contact cement. Could to know there is a better way to do this.

Bob

Wink & Bob

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The best glue I have found for adhering fabric to leather, or even leather to leather is "Lepages Pres-Tite Green" contacvt cement. This is a 100% solvent free glue so it's also non-toxic, you can use it in the kitchen and no foul odors or anything. If you accidently get a bit too much an anything, you can just rub it and it will ball right up and not leave any marks.

I use this glue on all my leatherwork, vests, hats, you name it. The real nice thing is that it does not "Bleed" through the fabric like most contact cement does, or like a spray glue if you accidently spray too much.

Beaverslayer

The upholster at women gave me a can of Formica 200 spray adhesive that works like a champ.

I use the 3M spray glue which works well. The trick is getting an even coat, substantial enough without putting on enough to seep through. I like to apply it to my piece before it's cut down to size, cutting the leather with the attached lining makes for a nice cut on the linen or cotton.

But for lining an already cut-to-size piece, does anyone have any suggestions on how to trim the liner effectively?

But for lining an already cut-to-size piece, does anyone have any suggestions on how to trim the liner effectively?

What I will do in this case, is cut a piece of lining about 1/2" bigger than needed, apply glue to both pieces and attach together. I will "roll" the two pieces with a metal roller I have and allow to dry for a while. Once they are dry, I just use my scissors and cut off the excess. Works great and leaves a nice edge.

I still and most likely always will recommend the Lepages Pres-Tite Green glue, it is so much easier and cleaner to use.

Wink & Bob

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The best glue I have found for adhering fabric to leather, or even leather to leather is "Lepages Pres-Tite Green" contacvt cement. This is a 100% solvent free glue so it's also non-toxic, you can use it in the kitchen and no foul odors or anything. If you accidently get a bit too much an anything, you can just rub it and it will ball right up and not leave any marks.

I use this glue on all my leatherwork, vests, hats, you name it. The real nice thing is that it does not "Bleed" through the fabric like most contact cement does, or like a spray glue if you accidently spray too much.

Beaverslayer

Hello! I would love to use Lepages green contact cement, but I think it is only found in Canada, as I can find it nowhere online, only Canadian hardware stores, and the product can only be ordered for pick up.

Would you or anyone else happen to know if the Weldwood non-flammable contact cement (green label) is similar?

Hello! I would love to use Lepages green contact cement, but I think it is only found in Canada, as I can find it nowhere online, only Canadian hardware stores, and the product can only be ordered for pick up.

Would you or anyone else happen to know if the Weldwood non-flammable contact cement (green label) is similar?

Yes the Weldwood Green label is pretty much the exact same thing. Here's a link to Lowes page that lists it: http://www.lowes.com/pd_41159-68-25332_0__?productId=3033214&Ntt=contact+cement&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dcontact%2Bcement&facetInfo=

Yes the Weldwood Green label is pretty much the exact same thing. Here's a link to Lowes page that lists it: http://www.lowes.com/pd_41159-68-25332_0__?productId=3033214&Ntt=contact+cement&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dcontact%2Bcement&facetInfo=

Sweet! Thank you!

-Zayne