I want to order some hardware to start making some holsters, what do you guys use the most as far as T-Nuts, thread size, and height wise? I'll be using mostly 7-8 oz leather double thickness. Im guessing for attaching loops on IWB holsters Id probably want like 1/8 or 3/16 heightwise. But what about for a tension screw?Im guessing on this and would rather not order the wrong stuff so Id appreciate some help from you pros. Also what else should I get while Im at it, I figure some countersunk finish washers, and machine screws, thats another one, what lengths screws and what type of heads do you guys use most, slot,phillips, allen?

I use the shortest 6/32 t-nuts I can find. I then use 6/32 x 3/4 round head screws. This combo keeps the screws from sticking through and allows the snaps to work. I tried pan head screws, but they poked through the back and had to be cut. Fyi I use 7 oz leather, so different weights may need shorter or longer screws.

A handy tool to have around is a screw cutter. I went to the local hardware store and picked up a wire crimper/stripper that also has screw cutters on it. It looks like this...

screw-cutting-tool.jpg

With one of these around if the screws you already have are a little long they can be easily trimmed to the correct length. Just be sure to put the screws into the cutter from the front (printed) side of the tool.

Bronson

I use T-nuts and screws to mount #24 snap studs on 2 and 3 layers of 8-oz. leather. #6-32 panhead screws in 1/4" or 3/8" length work well; 1/4" height T-nuts.

Once you determine what sizes you need for your applications bulk purchasing will reduce unit cost substantially.