Stephenpuhakish

Need A Good Sewing Machine At A Decent Price

Hi everyone. I was recently approached by someone to make wallets in larger quantity. I have been hand stitching everything up until this point but am now looking for a sewing machine that will be at home making wallet interiors, and making items using garment weight leathers, perhaps even the occasional purse. I won't be sewing any veg tanned leathers on it, I still prefer hand stitching items made from it (and would continue to hand stitch on the wallets but hand vs machine I won't ever compete production wise). I know of the premade wallet interiors through Springfield leather, but I prefer making them myself.

First problem I've had is I have tried to figure out what exactly I need sifting through old posts here and elsewhere, but it seems many of these machines were clones of a specific model and I can't keep all the numbers of the different manufacturers models straight in my head. If someone would lay it out straight for me(as much as is possible) I would really appreciate it. As in, "you need a singer xxx-xxx,or it's clones a pfaff xxx..." I realize that many machines would fit this purpose, but please simplify things for me as much as possible.

My second problem is location. I live in Saskatchewan Canada, and finding anything capable of what I need locally is a problem. Links to eBay items would be welcome as well.

My final issue is cost. Without going into detail I have medical problems that keep me from working or doing much, and my wife supports our household. Though my leather craft is contributing much more these days than it used to, there is precious little to spare for reinvesting into tools or equipment. So the smaller and less costly the machine(and shipping) the better.

I have managed to scour up a few options locally, one being a nakajima dbu-180L-2. Priced at 750 just an hours drive away. Would this machine be too much for what I need? It has the table, motor, and bobbin winder. I'm sure I would have to modify it to work on leather and find leather needles if it's suitable. But sim sure that will be the case with most machines, and definitely any machine I can source locally. I'm also open to buying any machine someone might have on hand and unused, assuming costs can be kept low.

Anyhow I'm rambling now and I'll wrap it up. I'm just looking for someone to point my compass in the right direction. Thanks for reading

It isn't the best for leather & the price is alittle high.It has an outside foot that has teeth on it that grips the leather as the feed dogs pull back.These teeth will leave marks.A walking foot needle feed machine will work better for you.

You need a singer 78-3 I just bought one, and it fits the spec's Bob set out and will sew up to 5/16 maybe 3/8 in deer skin. It has smooth bottom plate, walking foot, and needle feed. It was only about 80 miles from you. And the price was right.

Sadly things like this are all I find locally.

http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-hobbies-crafts-Juki-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-W0QQAdIdZ595559636

What sources are you using to find your deals? I scour all the classified sections and hunt online and never seem to find anything close enough for me to go sew off on. Unless it's so overpriced it's not worth looking at that is. Just bad luck I'm guessing. The hunt continues...

There is a Consew on Kijiji in Regina now for $700.00 It might be worth checking out what model it is.