Sign in to follow this  
JustinCredible

The New Guy

Hi all,

My name is Justin and i hail from Hobart, Tasmania.

I have been reading over different topics and thought i should introduce myself :) I don't have any leather experience what so ever and the reason i joined was in hope to find a place where i could source as much information as possible in my journey to learning the art as a hobby.

My Grandfather used to dabble in leather work and i inherited his tools and a heap of other bits and pieces that i have no idea what they are, so anyway, i am very keen to start to learn and so far have looked around Tasmania and i still fail to find any kind of class, maybe i am looking in the wrong places. Maybe there is a good beginner book that one of you might know of and could point me in the right direction. any kind of help would be awesome.

Thanks you!

Justin.

Hi all,

My name is Justin and i hail from Hobart, Tasmania.

I have been reading over different topics and thought i should introduce myself :) I don't have any leather experience what so ever and the reason i joined was in hope to find a place where i could source as much information as possible in my journey to learning the art as a hobby.

My Grandfather used to dabble in leather work and i inherited his tools and a heap of other bits and pieces that i have no idea what they are, so anyway, i am very keen to start to learn and so far have looked around Tasmania and i still fail to find any kind of class, maybe i am looking in the wrong places. Maybe there is a good beginner book that one of you might know of and could point me in the right direction. any kind of help would be awesome.

Thanks you!

Justin.

Justin,

The last time I was in Tasmania the national flag was the same as the one we use here on the mainland LOL. I live on the NSW Central Coast and have been thumping dead cow skins for nearly 50 years. If you are still having trouble finding a mentor go to my website and send me an email and I will help you on your way. I learnt by reading the lucky 7 book and practicing until I got it right. With digital cameras and emails the task is a lot easier. Welcome to Leatherworker.net where you will find heaps of information and the friendliest folks around. There are many members from Australia and perhaps some from Tassie. Regards, TapTapTap

Welcome Justin! Hope you enjoy the site. There's a massive amount of information here to peruse through. I hope you have a lot of free time on your hands. Looks like you've managed to pick up a mentor already as well. Good luck with the craft, and remember to be patient. ;)

I actually have no idea how to change the flag :S

Thanks for the replies, i am going to look for the lucky 7 book and give it a read through, i also had a look on your website (i think the ranger style belt is AMAZING) but i couldn't see a emailing address? :S

Hi justin, welcome.....not many classes to be found in Oz.... lots of info here and also Youtube is worth a look. Next year in July will be the biannual Dimensions in Leather conference. It is held in Brisbane and it is a week of classes in all sorts of leather craft for beginners and advanced. Teachers from all around the world. I can't recommend it highly enough...the BEST of times to be had!!!! heres the link from the 2011 conference http://www.dimensionsinleather.com/

cheers

caroline (geelong Vic)

Hey Justin - the Al Stohlman books are a good resource to have on hand (some of the projects may be ambitious for a beginner but a lot of the ideas/methods can be applied to beginner's projects). I can recommend http://stores.ebay.com/stecksstore as a good source for leather gear.

It might be a long-shot but I would check out the craft markets in Hobart. You might come across an old timer leatherwork crafter who can point you in the right direction - either advice or to a guild/workshop. Im sure given the current 12 degrees temperature you would be able to trade a hot cup of coffee for some info ;).

Spend as much time as you can in the forums - you will pick up so much from these guys. I also like to peruse the sites of professionals like www.xianleather.com (and heaps of the forum members) as an inspiration boost - to see just how beautiful leather work can be.

Stick at it - dont be discouraged if your first results arent great. Its definitely addictive.

Don

Welcome to the forum and greetings from Central Texas, USA!