Sign in to follow this  
ArcherBen

Avenger for Springfield XD40SC

Here's a holster I just finished for a customer. I recently bought an old CS Osborne tickler to use for my molding and really like the results. In addition to that I also tried out my new Angelus dyes and acrylic finish on this holster. From what I have seen thus far, I really think the Angelus dyes penetrate deeper than the Feibings while producing a more true color. I think I might be done buying Feibings dyes.

Specs:

Gun: Springfield XD40SC

Leather: 7-8 oz

Mouthband Dye: Fiebings Medium Brown over Fiebings Lt Brown

Body Dye: Angelus Cordovan

Top Coat: Angelus Acrylic

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Edited by ArcherBen

Okay, I don't know why I've ended up with three topics, but I'm gonna stop trying to fix it before I make it even worse. Could I get a mod to delete the other two please? Thanks.

Excellent holster! After seeing it, I think I might need to try some of those Angelus dyes.

Nice job!!

Looks great - I have some Angelus samples on the way. You're airbrushing, right?

Thanks for the comments.

You're airbrushing, right?

Yes, I am airbrushing both my dyes and my topcoat. The reason I decided to try the Angelus dyes is that I'm looking for something that is both a a truer color and that penetrates deeper. I've noticed that with Fiebings, in order to get good dye penetration, I have to just slather the stuff on, which makes even the light brown end up nearly black. I've found that with Fiebings the more coats I apply, the darker it gets regardless of what color I'm using. With these Angelus dyes I can literally dip the leather into the dye, get excellent penetration, and the color that it's suppose to be. For this holster, I started spraying the Angelus dye with a light coat and finished with a couple of heavy coats. I've got a couple of scraps that I've been dying for color samples that I'll try to post up for reference.

Dickf, what color of samples do you have coming? If it's different than what I've got then I'd love to see some pics of the colors on leather. I find it difficult to get a good idea of what color you are ordering by the color charts you see online and in their brochure. I expected their Mahogany color to give me a nice deep dark red. Instead I got a really bright red.

I requested 002 Jet Black, 095 Russet, and the 019 English Tan.

I'll post photos when they come and I get some sample swatches.

Dickf, I'd love to see them when you've got them. I've only got Mahogany, Cordovan, and Honey right now. I didn't like the honey at first, but it is growing on me. If you want to see that color I've recently posted a new holster dyed with the honey in another thread. I've been meaning to post my samples that I've been playing with for the other two colors, but I'm letting somebody else borrow my color sample swatches right now, so that will have to wait until I get them back. I've been able to produce a deep red color that I really like by combining the Mahogany and Cordovan.

Here's a holster I just finished for a customer. I recently bought an old CS Osborne tickler to use for my molding and really like the results. In addition to that I also tried out my new Angelus dyes and acrylic finish on this holster. From what I have seen thus far, I really think the Angelus dyes penetrate deeper than the Feibings while producing a more true color. I think I might be done buying Feibings dyes.

Specs:

Gun: Springfield XD40SC

Leather: 7-8 oz

Mouthband Dye: Fiebings Medium Brown over Fiebings Lt Brown

Body Dye: Angelus Cordovan

Top Coat: Angelus Acrylic

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Not sure were my reply went but the holsters look good. How do you get them to mold to the gun that detailed?