Geebe

2/3 Oz Leather Side?

I am just starting out and have a couple small pieces of 8/9oz veg tan leathers, probably enough to make a couple of sheaths.

I would like to make some wallets and that sort of thing. Tandy Europe are doing a deal on 2/3oz 'Oak-Leaf 'sides. My question is: How useful is 2/3oz leather? I was thinking it could be an economical way to get some practice or is it too thin?

Thanks!

Depending on the style of wallet you intend to make 2/3 oz will work.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

To start with I was thinking of the 4 slot bifold as uploaded by ducjes here:

After that, who knows? :-)

I normally use 2/3 oz leather for lining, it will work for a wallet but will be somewhat "soft", it also won't be very good for carving and tooling, you can tool it but have to be careful you don't punch through it. For wallets I normally use 4/5 oz leather leaning toward the 4oz as much as possible. If you wanted a little more solid wallet you could always laminate two pieces of the 2/3 oz together flesh to flesh that would make the leather more in the 4/6 oz area. Then use the 2/3 oz to make the pockets.

I keep a side of 2/3 in the shop, it's useful for some things but like I said, I mostly line things with it.

Chief

Hi Chief,

Thanks for the reply. You have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Maybe a full side of it would be a bit too much for me right now.

I just got big side (10' long)Tandy on sale for $69, black chrome tanned 2-3 oz, making 4 slot wallet.

will work good for bags and lining

Wow. And I thought €100 was a good deal! :bawling:

Hey There

I like carving thin leather. This little holster is made with 3.5 oz cheep Tandy leather. I would have been able to carve if it was thinner too. Carving isn't perfect. I was just having fun for myself but you get the idea. This is a cute project that I got here http://www.leatherwranglers.com/docs/SK3-holster-pattern.pdf. I can dream about owning an SK3. Right now my cheep Tandy knife gets the royal treatment :-)

Cheers, Toolingaround

post-24535-0-47174100-1419441142_thumb.j

I use the 2/3 oz a lot for doing interiors for wallets and small notebook covers with 4/5 oz on the outside. I have recently made some front pocket/slimline wallets completely out of 2/3 that turned out really well. Like previously stated; it is not nearly as firm as the thicker veg tan but does well on light duty applications where you are trying to keep your thickness to a minimum.

I'm learning to make leather phone cases. I'm using 2-3 oz veg tan and "wrapping" it around a snap on case. I've only made 2, and each one is a learning experience. With my current project, I want to tool or scribe a batman logo into the leather. Like mentioned above, this is really thin stuff, and I'm not confident enough to start ruining leather by cutting through it. If I scribe the logo into the leather, how can I be sure it will stay?

These images are the first one I made. As a matter of fact, that is the first inlay I've ever done.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg