CustomDoug

Clarify Feed Dog And Needle Plate Options For Singer 153W Cylinder Arm ?

Hello folks, I've been using my Consew 287R cylinder arm machine [which is apparently based on the Singer 153W cylinder arm machines] with a worn out looking feed dog as well as a well worn ( heavily rounded off edges) needle plate. Both were on the machine when i received it used. The feed dog is pn# 240663 and the needle plate is pn# 240664 (singer part numbers). If I'm not mistaken these seem to be a set designed for a binding attachment. Can someone confirm?

I plan to eventually use binder attachments on some items but in the mean time, which set is best designed for basic leather sewing with a smooth bottom presser foot? Is there a set that's better for veg-tan and/or chrome individually? Canvas?

Thanks!

~Doug

Edited by CustomDoug

Sorry, I failed to mention that I know of the Singer website page w/lists of parts PDF files specific to each machine. But my old mac mini has suddenly decided to stop fully loading up PDF files (only loads the first page?) . It's a mystery to me why this is, but I haven't loaded a pdf in a long time. I have to get this figured out, which from my experience diagnosing bugs, could take a while. I'd really appreciate if someone could help with the feed dog and plate questions. Thanks again.

Doug C

The Singer part numbers for the feed dogs on my machine (153W103) are 240674-46 and 240675-40 and the plate number is 240676. The -46 dog has teeth behind the needle hole and nothing (a step-down) in front of the hole (This is what is on my machine.). The -40 has teeth front and rear of the hole, which would give more "bite."

Many people grind the teeth off, and polish the dog, to prevent marking the leather. It hasn't been an issue with me, and I have no feeding problems.

I believe you can get these parts from Sharp Sewing Supplies in California (no affiliation). Hope this helps.

BIG help Gerry ! - any problem using a 22 or 24 needle with that 240674 feed dog? I only ask because the one I see looks like it has a tiny hole, but that could be just the picture of course. Thanks again.

Doug C

The feed dogs that I have contain an elongated slot. Even though the manual states that 24 is the largest needle, I have used a #25 when using 207 thread on top (138 on Bottom). (I added a supplemental spring to the thread tensioner to increase tension when using the heavier thread and sewing thicker leather.) No problems so far.

GerrR

I noticed on this thread you have a 153w. I recently picked one up and it's performing perfectly. I have sewed using 138/207, but I have to use A 25 needle. If I use a 24 it frays the top thread ,have you experienced that.

I sew Holsters with a Tippmann Aerostitch,usually,207/277 thread. The times I sewed 207/207 thread or 138/207 thread with the Areostitch I was able to use 24 needle.

I did notice today I'm using Organ Needles on the 153w and schmetz needles on the Aerostitch. I wonder if the Needle Eye is finished better on the Schmitz needle.

I also have a Ga5 I use for exclusively for stitching Belts with 277/207,I have to use 26 needle with that,where I use 25 on the Aerostitch for the same thread combo. Here again the GA5 organs,Aerostitch schmetz

Have you experienced anything like this

Frankqv,

I have not had that problem. Presently I have a 135 x 16 TRI (180/24) Organ needle in the machine with 207 on top and 138 in the bobbin. Thread is bonded polyester. It would be interesting to see the eyes under magnification to compare the Organ vs. Schmetz needles.

Curious, I had to add an additional spring to the tensioner to get the machine to consistently pull the bottom thread (138) into the leather. Did you have any problems with tension with the 207 thread?

I am able to tension OK to pull the knot up to 8-10 oz veg. Which spring did you use? I am using bonded nylon 138, the poly thread probably has less coefficient of friction,I'll try that.The higher c/v of the nylon thread is probably giving me more top tension

I haven't been able to find any Schmetz 135x16 #24 needles,but I did order some #24 organ Titanium Coated needles,the Titanium should be slicker.Ill let you know

I cut 3 coils off of a flat-wire recoil spring that I have for 1911 pistols (I'm a gunsmith, actually a pistol smith). The flat-wire spring fits inside the standard spring. I can send you a length of spring, if you would like one, and you can cut it using a Dremel with an abrasive cutoff disk. Offer to you, Doug, as well. Send me an email with your address, if you would like one. (totalautomation1 at gmail dot com)

GerryR

I have a 1911 recoil spring,one of many pieces laying around,I'll do that tonight when i get back to the house.Thanks for the tip. I'll give you some feedback on the titanium coated needles when I get them. i pretty sure the titanium nitride surface is pretty hard,and the coefficient of friction is less.

I came across the,which confirms hardness of TIN needles file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Empire/My%20Documents/Downloads/SCHMETZ_Special-coating-pdf.pdf

TiN will have a coefficient of friction ranging from 0.4 to 0.9 versus itself (non-lubricated).

Hard Chrome’s main attributes is its low coefficient of friction. Being the lowest over all other metals. Hard Chrome has a very low coefficient of friction, approx. one half that of Steel. The coefficient against Steel of 0.16 lubricated (0.21 dry), makes it ideally suited for an array of applications.

.9 vs .21 is a pretty substantial difference in CV TIN will require substantially less energy to pierce material.

Thanks for your help Gerry

Got any Singer 1911s laying around

That was the 153w SV 1911

Good one, Frank!

Yupp I'll take a singer 1911m1a1 too.

LOL, during the war it is a certainty that Singer would have been making weapons or parts for them!

I'll have one too - a matched pair would be better :)

Got any Singer 1911s laying around

Just to confuse the issue........

Consew was (or maybe is) a marketing name for Seiko machines in the west. Most Consew machines were rebadged Seikos which were derived from older Singer models.

Most of the Cylinder bed machines were the top half of a 211 but Seiko had this new fandangled idea of putting reverse on everything!

Hello folks, I've been using my Consew 287R cylinder arm machine [which is apparently based on the Singer 153W cylinder arm machines] with a worn out looking feed dog as well as a well worn ( heavily rounded off edges) needle plate. Both were on the machine when i received it used. The feed dog is pn# 240663 and the needle plate is pn# 240664 (singer part numbers). If I'm not mistaken these seem to be a set designed for a binding attachment. Can someone confirm?

I plan to eventually use binder attachments on some items but in the mean time, which set is best designed for basic leather sewing with a smooth bottom presser foot? Is there a set that's better for veg-tan and/or chrome individually? Canvas?

Thanks!

~Doug

Quote from Wikipedia

World War II

During World War II, the company suspended sewing machine production to take on government contracts for weapons manufacturing. Factories in the US supplied the American forces with Norden bomb sights and M1 Garand rifle receivers, while factories in Germany provided their armed forces with weapons.[7]

In 1939, the company was given a production study by the government to draw plans and develop standard raw material sizes for building M1911A1 pistols. The following April 17, Singer was given an educational order of 500 units with serial numbers S800001 - S800500. The educational order was a program set up by the US Ordnance Board to teach companies without gun-making experience to manufacture weapons.

After the 500 units were delivered to the government, the management decided to produce artillery and bomb sights. The pistol tooling and manufacturing machines were transferred to Remington Rand whilst some went to the Ithaca Gun Company. Original Singer pistols are collectable, and in excellent condition sell for $25,000 to $60,000 with the highest paid $80,000 at auction in 2002.[8]