Sign in to follow this  
gunter

Colt M1911A M7 Model Holster

Chello fella Crafters,

For some reason airsofting is very much "in" overhere in Belgium and once and a while someone wants a custommade holster. When it's custom made, it's no problem, 'cause then I have the "designers freedom", I can adapt the holster to the airsoft pistol or gun and start from scratch as as you would do with a normal holster and move on from there.

Now, these "airsofters" have themes as the re-enactors do (am a re-enactor myself, lol), now one of the guys wants a holster of an existing holster used by the US army during WWII and Vietnam (see inclosed drawings). I already did a wide search on google and leatherworker ofcour, but coulnd't find a pattern or explination towards a pattern. I already searched the ordinance orders, but there same problem, maybe I searching the wrong place or doing a wrong search. So..... where to start or anyone that has these patterns or advice?

thanks

Gunter

post-12134-074920900 1320864426_thumb.gi

post-12134-019347800 1320864450_thumb.jp

post-12134-057125400 1320864451_thumb.jp

Gunther...Hello there.....If you get the book "Making Holsters" by Al Stolhman your

problem will be solved. I think there is a pattern for a 1911 in the book.

Gunther...Hello there.....If you get the book "Making Holsters" by Al Stolhman your

problem will be solved. I think there is a pattern for a 1911 in the book.

Luke,

thanks for your reply, I have that book, and already made that holster a couple of times. I'm sure I can start with that pattern and make the flap myself.

thanks for the advice.

cheers,

gunter

Actually, . . . if your Al Stohlman book is like mine, . . . that pattern is not correct.

The proper military holster has the flap and the holster body being made from the same uncut piece of leather.

The belt loop is sewn on the back, . . . with the wire hanger as well.

There is another "piece" to the military holster, . . . a shim on the inside of the holster that causes the handgun to be canted away from the person carrying it.

I have always assumed this was to make it easier to draw, as the handle was more "grabbable".

Personally, . . . I don't mess with them, . . . they're $20 on the internet.

May God bless,

Dwight

Actually, . . . if your Al Stohlman book is like mine, . . . that pattern is not correct.

The proper military holster has the flap and the holster body being made from the same uncut piece of leather.

The belt loop is sewn on the back, . . . with the wire hanger as well.

There is another "piece" to the military holster, . . . a shim on the inside of the holster that causes the handgun to be canted away from the person carrying it.

I have always assumed this was to make it easier to draw, as the handle was more "grabbable".

Personally, . . . I don't mess with them, . . . they're $20 on the internet.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hey dwight,

thanks for your reply and input, I know about the fact that some of the holsters have a shim in them and that they can be canted. These type of holsters were made for the Cavalry dept, in the beginning when they were still on horseback, later when they were motorised. I had an original one in my hands coming from a friend (model of 1885). The reason why they putt in the shim or swivel was that these holsters could be easier to be caried while on horseback. I tried to draw the .45 but it isn't easier, it's even more difficult, LOL.

Anyway, maybe you're right, they're only $20 on the internet. But I don't know if these airsoft guns fit, but it's a good start and cheaper for him and easier for me (hahaha). Maybe it's time to invest in some premade holsters online and "take' m apart" to make a holsterpattern of them ;-).

cheers,

Gunter