rosiart

Raising Foot Vs Topstitch Foot

I have been looking to purchase various feet for the older Singer I purchased. Would someone be able to tell me what the difference is between a raising foot and a topstitch foot? I can't really tell from the pics I have seen and its not a term I am familiar with. Thanks.

If by "topstitch foot" you mean the hinged foot with a spring guide that moves vertically in a slotted right or left toe, it is used to either follow a previous stitch line (top stitching a pattern), or for use as an edge guide.

A raising foot is used to sew along the top of the right or left edge, to secure a folded hem or cuff. It can also act as a edge guide, as long as the material has a square edge.

Thanks so much, Wiz. Since this old Singer has a cylinder arm, and it seems most roller edge guides will not fit it, I am looking for something that will function as an edge guide for stitching close to the edge. I can use the side of the presser foot as a guide for normal stuff, but need something for stitching closer to the edge.

Thanks so much, Wiz. Since this old Singer has a cylinder arm, and it seems most roller edge guides will not fit it, I am looking for something that will function as an edge guide for stitching close to the edge. I can use the side of the presser foot as a guide for normal stuff, but need something for stitching closer to the edge.

The spring guide feet tend to be more edge-guidish than the raising feet.

The spring guide feet tend to be more edge-guidish than the raising feet.

Thanks Wiz. That's exactly what I needed to know.