Sign in to follow this  
Hilly

are there other places where I can buy leathercraft supplies?

After several difficult online orders with Tandy, I ordered a catalog from Hide Crafters. I'm wondering are there other places where I can buy leathercraft supplies? I've orderd from Tandy online several times, and have had to call and enquire about the status of my order on all but 1 occasion. This last order was made 2 weeks ago when I ordered some single shoulders on one of their promos. I'm sort of tired of their excuses and runaround. "Our computers were down". "You have back ordered items". "We shipped it today, you'll have it tomorrow", yet it never seems to arrive so I call again, and they know nothing about my order, yet my card has been charged.

I've made a holster for my husband's .44, and had it finished (except for stitching it up) a week before deer season opened. Now the season is half over, and I still have not recieved my stitching awl that was ordered 15 days ago. We're both a bit disappointed.

Is Hide Crafter any more reliable than Tandy? Are there other large suppliers besided these two companies? I would like to see if someone else would like my money besides Tandy. Sorry for the rant, but I'm getting a bit frustrated.

I've found both suppliers to be very prompt in filling my orders. And I order from each of them several times a month. I deal with the Leatherfactory in Springfield Mo and always get Teresa to handle my orders, I've never had anything but complete satisfaction. Ron at hidecrafters is the same way, he's saved me on a few occasions when I was desparate.

Anytime you order online it will go to the same store based on your zippy code. If you're unhappy order directly by phone from another store. At any rate, forward your concerns and problems to: tlfhelp@leatherfactory.com

and they'll make it right, even if means they never send an order to that store again.

After several difficult online orders with Tandy, I ordered a catalog from Hide Crafters. I'm wondering are there other places where I can buy leathercraft supplies? I've orderd from Tandy online several times, and have had to call and enquire about the status of my order on all but 1 occasion. This last order was made 2 weeks ago when I ordered some single shoulders on one of their promos. I'm sort of tired of their excuses and runaround. "Our computers were down". "You have back ordered items". "We shipped it today, you'll have it tomorrow", yet it never seems to arrive so I call again, and they know nothing about my order, yet my card has been charged.

I order from many different places for my shop for many different things. in my years of ordering it always best to order over the phone. orders on line seem to get lost in cyber space or doesnt get to the right destination. Ive always gotten my stuff with in a couple days. ive got companys that i can time to the exact day others take longer.

Hi Hilly,

There is Siegel of CA and if you have a tax number Weaver Leather. Both great places, but as always, order by phone, they all are much more reliable that way. I use the Tandy in Baltimore a lot and even if I order off the Web it goes to that store. They will call me if there is any question about my order and I generally get it the next day UPS. I have had a problem with every place I have ordered from very occasionally, the key thing is do they step up and fix it; the answer for the most part is yes. Use the phone and talk to someone, not something.

Art

I've used this place before www.bearcreekleather.com and found them to be very helpful especially sending stuff to me in Australia. I got my order in just over a week which is fast for a shipment from America. They also answered all my questions promptly and everything was packed extremely well.

I second the service at Springfield TLF. Treasa is great. I usually order one day and get it the next. I never order on line. It seems to go to ciber space somewhere before it goes to a store to be filled.

My last order from Hidecrafter, aka Hideco took over 2 weeks to get and then several items were back ordered or out of stock. I hope the new change is not going the mess up a good deal. I like ordering from them.\

Randy

I always order by phone and ask if it is in stock. Hidcrafter has been out of a LOT of things for the last several months. Each TLF seems different perhaps depending on how busy they are. Springfield and Seigle are great but, takes a long time to ship to us here in Fl.

I had some issues with ordering from Tandy's website. Like never getting orders, slow delivery time, pricing, etc.

However since I started faxing or phoning the orders in I have never had a single problem. And I get the order the next day if I order by 2pm.

Hidecrafter was just purchased by a new group of investors. Things are changing, so it would be worth a second look for any of you that may have had problems.

Hi Hilly,

There is Siegel of CA and if you have a tax number Weaver Leather. Both great places, but as always, order by phone, they all are much more reliable that way. I use the Tandy in Baltimore a lot and even if I order off the Web it goes to that store. They will call me if there is any question about my order and I generally get it the next day UPS. I have had a problem with every place I have ordered from very occasionally, the key thing is do they step up and fix it; the answer for the most part is yes. Use the phone and talk to someone, not something.

Art

Art, thanks for pointing me toward more sources.

I do talk to them at Tandy. I just hate the :censored2: runaround I keep getting, and have decided to try calling in my future orders to another location, and see what happens. Clay from Tandy in South Dakota offered to make good on someone else's mess, just to help fix things, and although I can't take advantage of it, I very much appreciate his very kind offer. Goes to show that there's still good people in this world.

Hi Hilly,

A couple of questions. Are you using the Milwaukee store and are talking to Bill? With Tandy stores it is best practice to talk to the manager. In St. Paul talk to Jason and in Rapid City talk to Clay. Tandy managers are generally excellent in leatherworking and they know their stock, but more than that, they are better managers and if they are not satisfying your leather needs, let Jim Linnell know.

Art

Art, thanks for pointing me toward more sources.

I do talk to them at Tandy. I just hate the :censored2: runaround I keep getting, and have decided to try calling in my future orders to another location, and see what happens. Clay from Tandy in South Dakota offered to make good on someone else's mess, just to help fix things, and although I can't take advantage of it, I very much appreciate his very kind offer. Goes to show that there's still good people in this world.

Try Zack White also, I have been very pleased with them so far. Usually better prices than Tandy and prompt shipping. Their leather is better quality than Tandys so far. The only problem I have with Siegel is they don't accept American Express cards and I do 99% of my orders on it.

http://www.eleatherworks.com/home.php

Edited by gunfighter48

Wickett and Craig are very popular in the Guild I belong to. I'm not sure of the quantities they sell, only sides or smaller sections.

SkipJ

I have not really done much business with anyone outside of my local Tandy... so this might sound one sided... but I have been on this board with Clay for a while and if I had to phone in an order, i would phone it into him and have him and his store send it out to me. He is good people and he will do what it takes and what he is able to do to correct something and keep the customer happy.

I have not really done much business with anyone outside of my local Tandy... so this might sound one sided... but I have been on this board with Clay for a while and if I had to phone in an order, i would phone it into him and have him and his store send it out to me. He is good people and he will do what it takes and what he is able to do to correct something and keep the customer happy.

That is exactly what I intend to do from now on. Clay has already gone out of his way to try and help me out, and I very much appreciate it. It is people like him that make doing business a pleasure.

Gosh guys, you are making me blush!! I hope that I can live up to this praise.

If any of you are ever this way stop by for a cup of bad coffee!!

Clay M.

Gosh guys, you are making me blush!! I hope that I can live up to this praise.

If any of you are ever this way stop by for a cup of bad coffee!!

Clay M.

As long as you don't have to cut it with a chainsaw and chew it for an hour, it's not bad coffee! :rolleyes: