yotebuster1200

Which DVD for first saddle?

I have been wanting to build my first saddle for a couple years now. I have been on this forum reading the old posts and trying to learn what I can before asking. I am glad to have found this site their is an amazing amount of info on this forum. From what I have read the Jeremiah Watt set of videos would probably be one of the best videos to invest in first. Now at this point I can change my mind if someone thinks their is a better way to go. I have a friend who built saddles for about 15 years and has stopped. He has all the tools and says I can use his shop to start building saddles. He is also going to be helping me along the way. But I still think the video would be a great resource.

I have read about several videos and I think this one is the best. (at least to start with)

Is there any other advice before buying this set of videos or maybe another direction I should check out first? I am here to learn. and hopefully one day I will be able to share somethings that I learn along the way.

Does anyone know were I can find the Jeremiah Watt Videos?

Thanks in Advance

Scott Hansen

Hey Scott!

I cast my vote with Greg. I don't see how you could do any better than Jeremiah Watt's video. I'ts not the least expensive out there, but it covers all the basic and advanced techniques for the beginning saddle maker better than any I've seen. Good luck with your saddle.

Mike

Edited by Mike Craw

Hi Scott,

I'll third the motion that they are the best DVD's out there... he really makes the effort to explain what he is doing and why.

Darc

http://www.ranch2arena.com/videoeng.html

In the top right hand corner of Jeremiah's home page you will find CATTLE-LOG ITEMS. This gives you a drop down menu. Select DVD- heritage trades.

The one thing that I found was the presentation was pitched as though you were actually invited into his shop, asked to park your butt, grab a Starbucks, watch and learn. His explanations were clear and consise and at the end there was nothing I was left thinking I missed. Some mention has previously been made about the price of his and other similar DVD series. Bare in mind it is not a movie you grabbed out of the bargain bin at Walmart. Without info like Jeremiah's DVD, you would spend far in excess of the DVD price, chasing the same info. Also a DVD you can of course watch it over and over. I sometimes put it on and don't actually watch it and go about doing something else. I have picked up on so much just listening to his commentary in the back ground.

Barra

The J Watt video is really good. The Harwood video is more for people already familiar with building saddles. I havent seen any of the others. I have a set of 3 videos by Jerimiah Watt on leather carving I would like to sell for $150 if anybody is interested

Matt

Matt,

Why don't you put your Watt leather carving DVDs in the Marketplace so that others can see you are trying to sell these.

Regards,

Ben

I am glad there is such a unanimous vote on these dvds. From what I had read they were the favorite and It makes it a lot easier to make a choice when the votes are so one sided. as far as price. Well I dont know if I am different than some but to me $400 is well worth the information learned. Is it expensive? yes i think it is. is it to expensive? I would have to say no. I say it is expensive because I can buy a lot of good things for $400. I know I would spend a lot more that this trying to learn probably any other way. I have always been someone who is willing to pay a little extra for the quality of a product and from what I here this is almost an esential. I thank you all for you help and hope to get to know you better as I strive to reach my goals.

Thank Again

Scott

Scott,

Another good thing about buying the DVD from J Watt. If you have a question he is more than happy to answer them if he has time. He does stay pretty busy, but he will try to answer most questions.

Ash

Scott,

Another good thing about buying the DVD from J Watt. If you have a question he is more than happy to answer them if he has time. He does stay pretty busy, but he will try to answer most questions.

Ash

Ash,

thanks I am sure that would be helpfull

This is a shot in the dark but does anyone have a set of these that they are trying to sell. Never hurts to ask