Fredo

Who Uses Insert Stiffeners For Gun Belts?

I want to try to make a gun belt with a insert to act as a stiffener. The problem is I cant find the right material in strips.

Is anyone doing this, are you cutting your own from a sheet..Why is the sky blue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fredo

You could put a piece of raw hide in it to stiffen it up and you can cut it to any width you want.

I've seen duty belts advertised with a strip of Kydex sandwished between the two layers of leather.

I've used stainless steel strips that the local tinsmith will give me when I need anything. I just tell him what size and he fishes a bit out of the rubbish skip and he just puts it in his guillotine and it only takes 5 minutes.

I know people use KYDEX:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=43&osCsid=1a6nes3duihn22ar1jmnunpg01

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/pd2102417

I just don't know what thickness to use. I've looked into doing this myself and I was debating on trying out .06 KYDEX. The only places I could find it in pieces long enough sold it by the sheet. I still want to give it a shot and next time I make myself a belt I am going to try it.

Anyone try using KYDEX before? If so, what thickness would you recommend?

I would think that the Kydex in the 6 mil range would be appropriate. I've seen steel used....I think it's a commonly used stiffener but the Kydex appeals to me more......

I did a google search and I called a cpl of kydex supply houses. On average they sell it by the sheet. At least one said that for a nominal fee they will cut it into strips at whatever width I ask for. I have to buy a full sheet though. Since it is cheaper to ship in smaller containers it looks like the savings in shipping costs will wash the extra cost of cutting to my specs. The sheets are 48" X 96" so I'm thinking 48"X 1" will give me 94-95 ready to use strips. As soon as I get finnal costs I'll make sure to post the info.

Oh yeah it's about 100 bucks a sheet plus custom cuts and shipping. That's not too bad, works out to less then 2 bucks a strip.

Why not use a strip of 5-6oz between the two layers you're planning on using. That should give you all the support one will ever need for normal gun carry. You won't live long enough to see any break-down on such a belt.

Before you spend that cash, . . . try a little experiment.

Take two belt blanks, 8 oz +/-, so the total thickness becomes .220 to .230, . . . stick em together with Weldwood contact cement (don't be tight fisted with it either, use a goodly amount), . . . edge, burnish, and sew with some 346 thread, . . . dye it a reasonable color, . . . give it a good coat of 50/50 Resolene/Water.

Put it on a nickel steel roller buckle and wear it for a month, or a week, or until you are satisfied that you don't need a stiffener.

While I am not a poster boy for morbidly obese, . . . I'm a pretty good chunk, . . . carry a full size all steel 1911 with 8+1 and up to 3 full stainless mags. My belt holds up my piece, . . . . all of its accouterments, . . . and my pizza belly, . . .

Try it, . . . you just may like it.

May God bless,

Dwight

In the upholstery shop we have at work they do something to keep straps from stretching and I was wondering if anybody did it on gun belts? The upholsterers sew a layer of thin denim into the strap. It doesn't act as a stiffener really but it does a good job keeping the strap from stretching out of shape. Of course they are also using chrome tanned upholstery leather but the theory seems sound.

Bronson

I did a google search and I called a cpl of kydex supply houses. On average they sell it by the sheet. At least one said that for a nominal fee they will cut it into strips at whatever width I ask for. I have to buy a full sheet though. Since it is cheaper to ship in smaller containers it looks like the savings in shipping costs will wash the extra cost of cutting to my specs. The sheets are 48" X 96" so I'm thinking 48"X 1" will give me 94-95 ready to use strips. As soon as I get finnal costs I'll make sure to post the info.

Oh yeah it's about 100 bucks a sheet plus custom cuts and shipping. That's not too bad, works out to less then 2 bucks a strip.

If you decide to buy a sheet and don't think you'll use all of it. I'd buy some from you.

I'd be interested in a few pieces as well if you want to sell some. I'm just over in the Tampa area.

I'd also suggest smoothing/slicking the edges a bit on the strips in order to preclude any issues with the sharp edges after the cut.

Wait!!!!

Try Springfield leather for some smaller pieces of Kydex.

I'd did and I am glad I did.

Save the money until your sure you need $100.00 worth of Kydex.

Follow this link---->> Springfield leather Then just type in Kydex in the search window.

Edited by GrampaJoel

Pallet strapping.doc How about using pallet strapping? Metal or plastic. Cheap. Most job site dumpsters contain miles of this stuff.

Ditto what Rayban and/or Dwight said. Don't see the need for a stiffener other than leather. Mike

Edited by katsass

I don't necessarily see a need for it either, but I do see a market. Since people are buying them and using them there's got to be a reason.