SteelcityK9Cop

How Do You Get A Finish Like This?

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and don't even want to say new to the craft because that would insult everyone here! lol I have the leather making bug and have done only a few small Kit projects. The big question I have deals with finishes. I would rather not to spend a ton through trial and error, trying to figure out the products that will get me the ultra shiny finish that I want.... be it in black brown...ect.. I would rather show you all a picture of the type of result I would like to get and see if anyone can guide me in the right direction as to products and technique. Thank you in advance for all the help.

32_big.jpg

Edited by SteelcityK9Cop

dont know much about that stuff but to me it looks like good ol spit & polish

Atom wax. Feibings makes one. Lay it on with a rag and fingers. Let it dry really good and buff. Do it again and polish muchly (new word).

There is a guy in England makes holsters that look very much like that one, . . . thin leather, . . . high polish, . . . lots of detail.

He does both horsehide and veggie tan cowhide, . . . owners say they are super and super stiff.

If I were going to try to emulate that, . . . I'd start with about 5/6 leather, . . . soak it in fairly warm water, . . . do the molding bit, . . . and then several light coats of Resolene, . . . cut 50/50 with water.

Two tricks to that, . . . dry it in a 125 to 130 degree drier box if you have one or can build one, . . . and make sure it is DRY before you start the Resolene treatment.

May God bless,

Dwight

That sir is the result of dip dyeing and finish. The whole thing is dipped in acrylic finish and left to dry.

That is a pic of Andy Arratoonian's work...from Horseshoe Leather....aka www.holsters.org.

And there's more to it than just dipping. The surface of the leather has to be prepared properly as well. The compound used is a secret ingredient, but I did a lot of research and found what it was : It's a special type of grease, extracted from an elbow, and applied before the final finish.

That is a pic of Andy Arratoonian's work...from Horseshoe Leather....aka www.holsters.org.

And there's more to it than just dipping. The surface of the leather has to be prepared properly as well. The compound used is a secret ingredient, but I did a lot of research and found what it was : It's a special type of grease, extracted from an elbow, and applied before the final finish.

I have heard mention of this special grease. It seems it used to be more prevalent in our fathers and grandfathers day but its not as common now a days. I do know that the takes a lot of hard work to extract this grease. The few times I have managed to use some I have been very happy with the final result.

As for this holster Im not sure if it is the photo or the actual finish but it looks too plastic to me. Its beautiful but looks like it will crack on the first bend. I guess Im a fan of the matte finish for belts and holsters.

Michael

This was not meant to be as high polish as the OP example, . . . just an example of one I finished on Saturday.

It has only one coat of Resolene on it. I started to do 2 coats, . . . but one came out to suit me, . . . so I quit early.

I hope my customer does not lose this either, . . . it was one of the toughest holsters I've ever done.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-82683700-1358127158_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-80333000-1358127168_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

As stated, that's one of Andy's holsters, and they're really beautiful. I can assure you, the leather is not thin, nor does he work in horse. It's all English cowhide and that holster pictured is roughly an 8oz front on a 9oz back, give or take a mil. I'll not divulge the chemicals used, but I will say the results are an extremely firm, yet flexible holster. I'm quite fond of his gear and use 2 of his holsters often for a govt model.

The lighting in that photo caught the flat slide which makes it appear more mirror-like. This is a nice side effect of the 1911 and one reason why lots of gunleather guys prefer pictures of that model for holsters.