Got this one done finally and about 10 more on the bench,sigh.. At anyrate I tried making a skinner that could work well for a bird knife as well and the false edge sure makes for intricate cutting.

Forged Steel

Handsanded blade with false edge

Nickle silver guard and pin

Afziela burl

Sorry for bad pics but its busy time of year and not alot of time to set of my photo gear.

Sheath to follow... I need about 6 more hours in the day.

Good9-copy.jpg

Lemme know what you think

Did you make the knife? if yes wow nice finish, ive made a few and know what work goes into geting the blade right how you want it, and i also collect antique bowies and double edge blades and pocket knives, Don

Yes everything there is completely made by myself, Forged the steel from 1 inch round bar my own heattreat ect ect

Romey,

I am going to show my knife ignorance here and ask what probably half of the world wants to know. What is a false edge? Whatever it is, the whole dang knife looks great to me.

Bruce Johnson

Bruce my friend , there is no need for excuse of ignorance, If there was Id be aplogizing for mine and get nothing else done!

The false edge is at the spine of the blade, its the angled area on the top that runs from the ricasso to tip. It thins down the spine , Knifemakers use it for several reasons, one it changes the balance of a blade heavy knife, sometimes its just for looks and in my case I wanted a blade that keeped the strength of the spine for big game yet made it exstra fine at the tip in this case for gutting upland game birds and water fowl as well. Basically its like having a the use of a thinner blade without losing the strength of a normal blade. If youd like I can take a quick pic of what it looks like from the top looking down.

I appreciate the comments from both you and Don as well!

Edited by Romey

That is amazing work! There is just nothing like a finely made weapon.

I do the Ren.Faire circuit usually, and I have 2 Starfire weapons - a sword and a double headed ax. They are so nice and heavy compared to the cheapo replicas sold all over the Faires.

Alot of respect is due those of you who make such nice pieces start to finish.

ps I'd like to see the top view shot, and I'm glad for the explanation on the false edge...I was wondering too!

That's amazing. I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

There is just nothing like a finely made weapon.

You mean, there's just nothing like a finely made tool. :) This is a skinner, after all.... :cowboy:

Nice knife, Romey. Can't wait to see the sheath.

I appreciate all your comments, unfortunitly I doubt my sheath work will do it justice except in the fit which is what Im most concerned about anyway. Its a long row to hoe to make decent knives, forging, grinding, learning metalurgy and heattreat, learning about woods and then sheath work on top of it, learning isnt the tough part, doing well like you all do is. Atleast for me, but I enjoy challenges.

At least in my experience, many knifemakers care only about the knife, and either ask someone else to provide the sheath, or build the quickest, most basic one they can get away with.

I think it's great that you're interested in the entire process, start to finish, including the sheath.

p.s. Your knife reminds me a lot of the classic Randall #5, but with a higher grind. Very nice. :thumbsup:

Well i actually enjoy leather work as much as i do forging blades or blacksmithing or the fit up or the wood work involved. I truelly beleive in everything being made by my hands altho certian sheath styles or incase someone specifically wants a Morrissy made or Chuck Burrows made sheath, 2 masters at what they do, far better then what i can do. I may send that sheath out to Sandy Morrissey for one of his buetiful sheaths.

The buisness of bladesmithing is fickle and it makes sales when the sheath is made by wellknown makers like Sandy so its sorts of, do i put my desire of wanting to do leather work above my desire to sell. Not all would i send out but it dont hurt once inawhile to have his name attached to your knives. Crud i keep forgetting about the pics, ill get em stay tuned

I know... I'm a real pain in the :censored2:

:biggrin:

Edited to add -- I like your new avatar, Holly. Growing up fast, I see...

Edited by abn

:NEWFUNNYPOST: So Romey, where's the sheath already????

Beautiful knife Romey, It was my knife making hobby that got me into this leather working. Now I haven't made a knife in 2 1/2 years. Maybe I'll get back to that one day.

Dave

Edited by David