chriscraft

Paramedic Bag,,twist On Doctor's Bag

I've been wanting to build a small personalized leather tote bag to keep my stethoscope, trauma sheers, flash light, stylus pen, ink pens, name tags, tooth brush, car keys and a small snack/lunch. I'm a CC-Paramedic and work 24 hour shifts. When in the ambulance, one doesn't have too much room for a typical sized back pack. Especially since I work with a partner and that means two back packs inside a small space.

I've messed with the Idea of finding a used vintage leather Doctor's Bag and converting it to my specifications. Instead of going through the trouble of converting one that has a musty smell. I'm just going to build one for myself.

I really like the idea that at one time, Doctor's made house calls and would arrive with such bags loaded with tools. I am now that person that arrives at ones home with newer purpose build bags that carry more gear and tools than one from the early 1900's would imagine. This bag I'll be building will only bee seen by other Paramedics at my station and during shift change. It will give my gear a place to live till my next shift and keep these things organized at home.

Early this year I began my search for a vintage Doctor's bag to dismantle and make my patterns from. Most antique shops that had one were asking way more than I'd like to spend. I finally picked up this used bag from an Doctor's Estate Sale locally for $5. It's a little smaller than some I've seen but will work great for my purpose as I really don't need too much room inside the bag. The bottom measures 12"X6.5" and is probably from the 1950's. Its also personalized as pictured so its a real Doctor's Bag.

I'll start by unstitching the vintage leather bag tonight to form my patterns.

post-38453-0-46229300-1417749286_thumb.j

post-38453-0-96053800-1417749288_thumb.j

post-38453-0-03905900-1417749292_thumb.j

Edited by chriscraft

This Doctors Bag was made by Benner Leather Goods Co. here in Milwaukee, WI. The company was established in 1945 and is no longer in business.

It didn't take me long with an X-Acto blade to take this bag apart. I had no intention to reuse this leather so I wasn't careful. The bag was constructed from 4-4.5oz. cow hide. Looks to be some sort of stiff card board wrapped in leather that was used for the bottom panel.

I'll be using 8-10oz. veg tan leather for my bottom panel and 4.5-5oz. veg tan leather for my side panels.

post-38453-0-06162100-1417757331_thumb.j

post-38453-0-20812500-1417757333_thumb.j

post-38453-0-56607300-1417757335_thumb.j

Cool project! I feel bad for the one you took apart, though. :( Can't wait to see the finished bag.

Edited by MonicaJacobson

Monica, I've been kicking this idea around for the past three years now. I've even searched to see if someone was already making such a bag so I could just order one and came up empty. Yes, I could have studied this bag without taking it apart but that's the reason its been sitting on my shelf for a few months collecting dust. Just don't have the time to re-invent the wheel or Doctor's bag in this case.

Now by taking this bag apart, I'm committed. Also I was able to see in reverse how it was assembled. Now, building my own shouldn't be an issue. Chris

After taking this bag apart last night I did research the M.D. name that's embossed on this bag. Was a local M.D. for many years. Turns out he married the daughter of Samuel Benner in 1959. Samuel was a leather craftsman that owned Benner Leather Goods Co. here in Milwaukee. Samuel Benner passed away in 1991.

Edith Benner

July 15th, 2005

Edith Benner (nee Cohen), a native of Milwaukee, died July 1 of natural causes. She was 97.

A 1923 graduate of Washington High School, she became vice president of Benner Leather Goods Company in Milwaukee.

She was a member of Beth El Ner Tamid Synagogue and its sisterhood, Hadassah, B’nai B’rith, Order of the Eastern Star, and the Leather Goods Association of America.

“Edith enjoyed her business life, friends and hobbies,” including cooking, bridge, mahjong, oil painting, crochet, needlepoint, ceramic art, reading and being a grandparent, according to members of her family.

She will be remembered for “her warmth, generosity and marvelous cooking and baking,” family members said, adding, “She never found a recipe into which she couldn’t infuse more calories.”

She was preceded in death by husband Samuel Benner in 1991. Survivors include daughter Marcia (Leonard) Kleinerman of Milwaukee; son Alan (Toni) Benner of Solana Beach, Calif.; sister Maxine (Oscar) Jawor of Shorewood; seven grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

One never knows what you can stumble upon at an estate sale. I was lucky to find this bag for just a few bucks that day. I'll make good use of these patterns.

This Doctor's bag doesn't have the traditional scissor hinge that closes the top opening. The bags top opening met in the middle and zippered shut. That was the only thing that failed on this Doctor's bag, the zipper tore and would have been a bear to repair/replace. So I will eliminate the zipper on my build. Still have plenty of time to decide if I want to incorporate the classic scissor hinge on my build.

I'm also not fond of this style leather handles. Will probable use a classic leather briefcase style handle instead.

post-38453-0-76808600-1417809159_thumb.j

post-38453-0-79217700-1417809163_thumb.j

post-38453-0-84986400-1417809166_thumb.j

Edited by chriscraft

Looks good! I've been practicing my leather work so that I could make this type of bag for my recently graduated Nurse wife, I'm looking forward to your continued posts. I have also been thinking about building a leather briefcase from the tv show Rubicon, similar to this one http://www.luggageonline.com/jack-georges-elements-classic-briefbag-w-shoulder-strap . good luck and keep posting!

best regards,

mg

If you go to the patterns forum and search for Doctors bag pattern there is a thread a guy has a pattern he will share. To bad you didn't know before you took the one apart.

Heres the thread just incase you want the pattern PM butch he will get it to you. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14948&page=8

Edited by camano ridge

obastable, I'll post my updates on this build. This will be a winter project so it will take me some time to complete.

CR, its better that I broke this bag apart. Gives me a better scale of the actual size I'm working with. I only plan to build one bag for myself. I'm still sketching ideas on what I'd like the inside to look like. I'm leaning towards making removable inside panels incase I ever need to make repairs or add more stuff. Want the outside to look like a vintage medical bag and the inside to have modern materials that resemble my current EMS bags. I'll have fun with this project. Chris