Sign in to follow this  
Anne Bonnys Locker

Seiko Cw-8B

I have been offered some second hand Seiko CW-8B machines at a very good price but they are not a machine I know a great deal about.

On paper they look to be an attractive proposition being cylinder bed with compound feed but they have not been spoken about much here. Does anyone have any experience - good or bad with these babies?

The seller claims that 1/2" of veg tan with 277 is no problem. Is this so?

We sell the same machine Cowboy Model#227 & I would never tell someone they would sew 1/2" thick w/277,more like 3/8"

with #138.

NOW years ago I sold a Singer 153 same machine w/o reverse & he claimed that he ran 277 on it.

I sell these to people for sewing purses,chaps,belts & lightweight material where they don't need a large thread.

Bob

Thanks Bob, A very useful machine but I might leave it on the backburner for now.

Hey there I was hoping I can get some info on this machine and lcw-8b. To my understanding cw can sew up to 9.5mm is it the same clearance for lcw model? To my understanding the lcw is less powerful than cw but seems to have a higher stitch length of 6.2mm compared to cw 5.5mm. When they say stitch length do they mean horizontal or vertical? I'm trying to figure if the cw or lcw will be sufficient enough to make birkin style bags due to the thickness on top of these bags. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2012 at 1:13 AM, CowboyBob said:

We sell the same machine Cowboy Model#227 & I would never tell someone they would sew 1/2" thick w/277,more like 3/8"

with #138.

NOW years ago I sold a Singer 153 same machine w/o reverse & he claimed that he ran 277 on it.

I sell these to people for sewing purses,chaps,belts & lightweight material where they don't need a large thread.

Bob

Wow. He actually claimed 277 on a 153 huh. That I'd like to see.

Regards, Eric

Yes,he's on this site,maybe he'll chime in? 

I have CW-8B. There is no way that machine will sew with 277. If I go 3/8" in thickness it works real hard but really does nicely in most leathers I have used 

up to and through the 3/8" with 138 thread. I seldom load the bobbin with anything less than top thread. 

Ferg