Jimbob

singer patcher....Model 31?

Fixing to buy an old Singer patcher, possible a Mod 31.....??

Is in OK condition, can get it for 150,- or so....has metal tableand threadle...ligjht rost on free arm tip...I like to know what I need to watch

For or what is a NoNo to buy?? Any advise would be fine....it turns but no belt or needle...is there a way to find out if it worth the money???

Thanks and ya all have a Merry Christmas!!!

This is a series 29 machine if it has an arm,There should be a brass tag on the front w/a model # on it & then some # stamped in the bed that are the serial#.

The ones to stay away from are 29K51,53,56.

We pretty much have all the parts is stock for the rest.

The thing to look for is play in the foot (front to back) & play in the gears that drive the shuttle back & forth,so you take out the shuttle & push what's called the driver clockwise & counterclockwise & see how much play it has this will indicate the condition of the gears.

Do these people know how to sew on it? If so try it out,

The price is pretty good & I've seen the stands alone bring $150.00

Good Luck,

Bob Kovar

This is a series 29 machine if it has an arm,There should be a brass tag on the front w/a model # on it & then some # stamped in the bed that are the serial#.

The ones to stay away from are 29K51,53,56.

We pretty much have all the parts is stock for the rest.

The thing to look for is play in the foot (front to back) & play in the gears that drive the shuttle back & forth,so you take out the shuttle & push what's called the driver clockwise & counterclockwise & see how much play it has this will indicate the condition of the gears.

Do these people know how to sew on it? If so try it out,

The price is pretty good & I've seen the stands alone bring $150.00

Good Luck,

Bob Kovar

My bad, of course it is a model 29....got confused with the Adler 31...oh well, I am learning....I will try to check on these things and also will do some horse trading, hahaha.....maybe I get it for a tad less!!??

What would this machine be good for other than repair boots??

Is there a certain line of work this machine is very good at....how thick will it sew and what leather or material will it take??

Are they very relaiable.....??

Hope u dont mind me asking all these questions...

Thanks a lot!!

JimBob

What would this machine be good for other than repair boots??

Is there a certain line of work this machine is very good at....howthick will it sew and what leather or material will it take??

Are they very relaiable.....??

A Singer 29 is made for boot and shoe repairs. What else it can do depends on the full model number, which you haven't told us. Try to find out the full model number.

If it is a 29-4 it will sew about 1/4" reliably, with #69 nylon thread. The best stitch length will be around 6 to the inch, depending on how worn out the feed mechanism is.

If it is a 29k something, depending on which model and arm length, it may be capable of sewing 5/16" with #138 thread. The long arm big bobbin patchers can handle #138 top and bottom, into leather 5/16" thick.

Note, that a 29 anything is a shoe patcher and has top feed only, via teeth on the pressor foot. These teeth leave marks in soft leather or vegtan belts.

Search this section of the forum and you will find several posts about various 29 models, including my own topic about a 29K172 long arm patcher.

FWI, here are some photos of both long and short arm patchers. The short arm (black) is a 29-4, from around 1923 and the long arm (blue) is a 29K172, from when I don't know (sometime in the Mid-20th Century).

patcher.jpg PICT0075.JPG IMG_1356.jpg 29k172_1350.jpg

post-11118-126120342327_thumb.jpg

post-11118-126120345811_thumb.jpg

post-11118-126120348943_thumb.jpg

post-11118-126120364965_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wizcrafts

A Singer 29 is made for boot and shoe repairs. What else it can do depends on the full model number, which you haven't told us. Try to find out the full model number.

If it is a 29-4 it will sew about 1/4" reliably, with #69 nylon thread. The best stitch length will be around 6 to the inch, depending on how worn out the feed mechanism is.

If it is a 29k something, depending on which model and arm length, it may be capable of sewing 5/16" with #138 thread. The long arm big bobbin patchers can handle #138 top and bottom, into leather 5/16" thick.

Note, that a 29 anything is a shoe patcher and has top feed only, via teeth on the pressor foot. These teeth leave marks in soft leather or vegtan belts.

Search this section of the forum and you will find several posts about various 29 models, including my own topic about a 29K172 long arm patcher.

FWI, here are some photos of both long and short arm patchers. The short arm (black) is a 29-4, from around 1923 and the long arm (blue) is a 29K172, from when I don't know (sometime in the Mid-20th Century).

patcher.jpg PICT0075.JPG IMG_1356.jpg 29k172_1350.jpg

Thanks so much, lots of info here....I love this forum!!

According to the pictures it is a short arm,,,,,I have not seen the machine or the model tag....only a picture of it.

Will have to check the condition too. The Lady uses it as decoration piece, haha....

Since I have a Adler 105-64.....don't know if this one will be any help to me!?

Again thanks for all the info on here!!!

JimBob

Hello:

One other thing to look for is if the machine has a replaceable horn on the end. Some of the 29 series models did not have a replaceable horn. The horn was simply cast as a part of the main casting body.

If the horn is replaceable, it will be a polished metal color. If it is not replaceable, then it will be just the color of the casting. By horn, I mean the end of the cylinder arm where the bobbin goes in.

Because these machines are getting so old, the ones that have the replaceable horn are the better choice, as you can replace these when they wear out, and they eventually will.

The ones that did not have the replaceable horn can get awful sloppy in the shuttle area due to years of use.

Hope this is of some help to you.