ktoddmc

Latigo Leather

How do you burnish edges on colored latigo leather? I have seen instructions on veg-tanned leather that requires many steps. Is it the same process for latigo?

I have tried the multi-step burnishing processes with poor to horrible results. I had one attempt turn the edge to mush and caused the whole room to smell like a certain male bodily fluid. I am still searching for the proper technique. i still have to try a couple different things but i have a basic process that goes like this.

Skive/bevel the edge

Sand the edge

Apply water to edge

Rub vigorously with canvas

The result I have had was a very shiny slick edge. There has to be something else, some chemical that wont react to the oil in the leather. I am also deciding between buying or making a burnisher that will fit in a drill or drill-press.

If anyone has some tips or techniques that would help us out please post a reply.

Forgo burnishing Latigo in the way that you would do Veg tan leather.....It Wont Work...

round the edges then use Edge Coat.

Forgo burnishing Latigo in the way that you would do Veg tan leather.....It Wont Work...

round the edges then use Edge Coat.

I rounded the edges with a bevel. Should I use the nylon wheel, or sand some of the rough parts? After I use the Edge Coat should I buff it? Thanks for your help.

I rounded the edges with a bevel. Should I use the nylon wheel, or sand some of the rough parts? After I use the Edge Coat should I buff it? Thanks for your help.

round the edge..... sand the rough places then apply the edge coat.thats all you can

do for the Latigo

round the edge..... sand the rough places then apply the edge coat.thats all you can

do for the Latigo

Easy enough. Thanks for your help!

I will have to go pick up some edge coat.