Sign in to follow this  
shard

Complete beginner, too many questions.

One day I just started obsessing over making myself a costume for a convention that's coming up. While some info is easy to come across, I get the feeling there are a few little bits that I'm missing.

My first project is making a pair of bracers. It seems easy enough, but I want to attach a layer of chainmail over top. I've been recommended no less then 5 oz. weight all the way up to 15, but is there a specific kind of leather that I should look for? And while I don't plan to drag them through the mud, I don't want them damaged because I didn't wax/boil/cuddle the leather properly. What's the best/simplest way to prepare/care for the material?

Secondly, gloves. I wanted to attack a square of maille or steel to the back of a pair of leather gloves, but they're a tad thin. Can I sew some thicker material on to reinforce it, or will that just tear itself off anyways? Is it recommended to sew leather onto a cloth backing, like canvas or something similar?

Sorry if this is common stuff, but it took me long enough to just find this site between the other entries for leather (ick) and I want to begin working soon. I've never worked with leather before, and I don't really know where to start.

Welcome to the bestest leather place on the www. The thing that was/is most exciting for me when I started was that experimentation is not all that expensive and it (leather) really lends itself to the learn by doing process, if it doesn't work one way just try it another way. Ask lots of questions and post lots of pictures, we all love pictures by the way! Always have fun doing it and you will soon be the one being asked Howdedodat :rofl:

I don't know much about leatherworking myself - but how about making a sort of "mitt" to wear OVER the glove

Look on the chain maile sites for something called a hand flower (yes it is a "Harem girl" thing) but I think that you could make a square of maile with finger rings and a bracelet and wear over the gloves and nobody would know the diff for a costume. Especially if you used black rings for the finger ring and bracelet part (If you are wearing black gloves that is)

Just make it loose enough that you can bend your hand

welcome aboard and welcome to the addiction! let's get started with things. remember though, as I'm sure you've noticed, most peeps have different ways of doing things so it's rare that anything you're told is "gospel". personally I've made bracers ranging in thickness of a single layer of 3-4 oz up to a single layer of 8-9 oz, plus multiple layers of all of the above and used chrome tanned and veg tanned, so it's kind of a case of what YOU want. when I did chainmail over some, I used 8-9 oz but could've used down to 5. I'd also recommend NOT trying to rivet the chainmail to the leather as it will cause the rings to separate. instead use speedlace loops. NOT the hooks, I'm talking about the loops like on standard combat boots. chrome tanned leather doesn't really need a sealer, but it will help to seal veg tanned after the dying or staining. as far as the gloves, I'd recommend putting a thicker layer of leather on the inside of the gloves then attaching the maille or steel.

alright...but before I rush out and grab some material, what are the basics that I'll need? Some kind of special needle, and will I need tougher thread to match?

And is there anything I absolutely should not do, or any kind of common beginner screwup that I should watch out for?